The media has questioned NC State and if it is a desirable job. Some of the arguments say that the fan base has unrealistic expectations. They will never be Duke or UNC. NC State should be content with the occasional trip to the NCAA’s. This is blasphemy as NC State has a rich tradition in college basketball. The Pack was once the pearl of the South and one of the best programs in the country. The Wolfpack offers the next coach every advantage to be successful. Here are some of the pros. Feel free to comment with your own pro’s as well.
- NC State is one of a few programs to win multiple National Championships. Even fewer to win multiple with multiple coaches.
- The ACC offers the best conference in the country and the opportunity at multiple at-large bids to the NCAA. Ten teams could represent the ACC come Selection Sunday this year.
- NC State has deep pockets and resources to allow the new staff to have every advantage possible on the recruiting trail. Chartered planes, top-notch facilities, and an administration willing to invest in the program.
- North Carolina is one of the premier states for college basketball. People care about college sports whereas other places are more pro sports driven.
- Players and coaches should want to play and coach for a fan base that desires results. NC State fans want to have a successful basketball program. Their mindset should not be looked down upon or be labeled as “unrealistic”.
- There is no reason why NC State cannot be a perennial fixture in the top 25 if teams like Oregon, WVU, FSU, Notre Dame, and Baylor have managed to win consistently as of late. Why not NC State then?
- It is possible that the next coach will be at the helm when Coach K and Roy Williams call it quits.
- In addition to Coach K and Roy, both Jim Boeheim and Rick Pitino are getting closer to the end.
- NC State does not have a quick trigger when it comes to pulling the plug on coaches. Jim Valvano 10 years. Les Robinson 6 years. Herb Sendek 10 years (could have had an 11th if he wanted it). Sidney Lowe 5 years. Mark Gottfried 6 years.
- The Pack offers a new coach the chance to make a name for themselves. Bringing the Pack back to prominence will undoubtedly bring whoever the coach is into an upper echelon of coaching. Even if that coach has had prior success.
- North Carolina State University is ranked in the top 100 nationally in the US as well as top 40 in public universities. (US News)
- Raleigh is one of the fastest growing areas in the US, making it a great place to live. There are plenty of things to do which can help in recruiting kids to the area. (US News) The new coach should feel comfortable moving his family to Raleigh as well as hiring his support staff.
NC State offers the next coach a great opportunity to win in the best conference in the country. Debbie Yow and company will need to hit a home run. The new hire will have some unique advantages with the potential for the changing of the guard at the schools to the west. Many like to question if one can win at NC State; however, with their resources and location why couldn’t someone win at State? The next coach needs to believe that NC State can be what it once was…The best program in not only the South but one of the best in the country.