Below is the full video from NC State head coach Dave Doeren’s press conference yesterday, followed by a bulleted breakdown of what he had to say.
Addressing the Marshall game…
- Thought the team made good adjustments offensively and defensively.
- Took care of the ball. Finished with a +2 turnover margin, which is improved from the South Carolina game.
- 2nd week in a row where the offense has finished with a touchdown on a 2-minute dive.
- Thought they threw it around well.
- Thought that the running backs ran hard. Specifically liked seeing Reggie Gallaspy run through contact. Likes the tandem of Gallaspy and Hines.
- 3rd down offense wasn’t as good as it had been. Some of this was due to 2nd-and-long situations caused by running backs being tackled for a loss.
- Thought the defense played well in the second half for the 2nd week in a row. Need to start fast and play that way for 4 quarters.
- Thought Bradley Chubb and Jerod Fernandez played good games defensively. Was really proud of the way Tim Kid-Glass played in his first game starting. Thought Nick McCloud played a very good game, especially on Tyre Brady in the 2nd half.
- Thought Ryan Finley was very efficient. He missed some throws early but got into a rythm.
- Singled out the play of Kelvin Harmon and Jaylen Samuels.
- Furman will be a unique challenge to the defense. They run a triple-option that also breaks out into a spread scheme.
- Only played the option once since He’s been at NC State, against Georgia Tech.
- They do have a receiver who averages 30 yards per catch and over 100 yards per game, and a quarterback with a lot of experience.
- Jarius Morehead missed some practice the week prior to Marshall, but was able to play, though Isaiah Stallings got the start due to the injury. Thought Morehead played well despite not being 100%. Pointed out that Stallings struggled.
- Mike Stevens did individual drills last week in one practice, but that was it. Today’s practice will be telling. Would love to at least be able to play him on third downs, to get his feet wet before Florida St.
- Dexter Wright probably won’t play.
- James Valdez probably won’t play.
On the Offensive Line…
- It was good to get Terronne Prescod back, and this week Will Richardson will be back. Furman will be the first time all of the starters will be out there together. Garrett Bradbury has only played 2 collegiate games at center, and has room for improvement. Need Tyler Jones and Tony Adams to be solid, because they made some mistakes they don’t typically make.
- Proud of Joe Sculthorpe. Has made rookie mistakes, but played hard. He is the 6th lineman at this point, and can come off the bench and play Center or Left Guard.
On Secondary Depth…
- Bryce Banks has been playing with the 2’s and 3’s all camp. Playe Nickel last year, but moved him back to Corner this year because they weren’t sure what they had in Alston. He has good fundamentals and good length. This is a good opportunity for him to be in the two-deep.
- Chris Ingram has been really impressive for a true freshman. Some of the stuff he’s done on Special Teams has stood out.
- Nick Lacy can play Safety, Corner or Nickel. Also have depth at Nickel with Brock Miller and Germaine Pratt, if they had to move Shawn Boone back to Safety.