RALEIGH, N.C. – The second-ranked NC State baseball team grabbed an early five-run lead, but Notre Dame rallied with a big sixth inning and added four runs late to earn a 12-8 win Friday night at Doak Field at Dail Park.
The Wolfpack finds itself in a similar position as previous weekends, as NC State has lost the series opener in each of the past three weekends and has rallied to win the series with wins in games two and three.
NC State falls to 26-7 and 11-5 in ACC play, while Notre Dame moves to 15-19 and 6-10 in league action.
Due to the likelihood of inclement weather on Sunday, NC State and Notre Dame will play a doubleheader on Saturday. Game one is set for 2 p.m. and the second contest is slated for a 6:30 p.m. first pitch.
– NC State jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the contest, as Josh McLain drilled the first pitch from Notre Dame starting pitcher Scott Tully over the left field wall for his fourth home run.
– Brett Kinneman followed with a single and Will Wilson doubled to put runners at the corners before a sacrifice fly from Evan Edwards to make it 2-0.
– Wilson scored on an error by the Irish pitcher on a failed pickoff attempt to give NC State a 3-0 advantage.
– Notre Dame trimmed the Wolfpack lead to 3-2 following solo homers from Eric Gilgenbach and Nick Podkul.
– NCSU responded in the bottom of the third with four runs to extend the margin to 7-2.
– Patrick Bailey hit an RBI double to center field and two batters later, Brock Deatherage launched a three-run homer. It was his sixth home run of the year.
– The Irish answered with a six-spot in the fourth inning to grab an 8-7 lead, thanks in large part to a three-run homer from Matt Vierling and a solo blast by Niko Kavadas.
– An RBI single from McLain in the fifth knotted the score at eight.
– Notre Dame pulled ahead in the seventh with three runs after a double by David LaManna and an RBI single from Cole Daily.
– Gilgenbach left the yard for the second time in the game with a solo blast in the ninth to make it 12-8 and NC State could not rally in the bottom of the frame.
Inside the Box Score
– McLain led the Wolfpack at the plate with a 4-for-5 outing, highlighted by a home run and three RBI.
– Bailey and Kinneman also tallied multi-hit performances, each with a pair of hits.
– Seven of the nine batters in the NC State lineup had at least one hit.
On the Mound
– Johnny Piedmonte started on the mound and pitched three innings before having to be removed from the contest with back stiffness.
– Kent Klyman pitched a career-long 4.1 innings of relief but yielded four earned runs and was charged with the loss.
NC State and Notre Dame will play a doubleheader on Saturday with game two of the series starting at 2 p.m. and the series finale slated for a 6:30 p.m. first pitch.