NC State Baseball
NC State Drops ACC Championship Opener Against Virginia, 4-2
DURHAM, N.C. – The eighth-ranked NC State baseball team was edged by Virginia, 4-2, in its ACC Championship opener Thursday afternoon at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. The Wolfpack had the tying and go-ahead run on base in the eighth but was unable to get the run across.
NC State returns to action Friday evening against Florida State at 7 p.m. The winner will advance to the semifinals on Saturday afternoon at 5 p.m. to face the winner of the Duke/Louisville game.
The Wolfpack falls to 40-15 on the year and the Cavs conclude their season with a 29-25 overall record, after losing their first game of the conference championship against Florida State on Tuesday.
“I thought we played good tonight, but we ran into a Virginia team that played very well,” said head coach Elliott Avent. “I mean, you saw their Florida State game Tuesday. They had so many opportunities to win that game, and I’ve said it before, that’s a good ballclub. You saw the pitching from Abbott and Lynch the other night, and then what we saw from Casey and Sousa today.
“They’ve got a heck of a coaching staff, they’ve got a heck of a team, and tonight they were better.”
– NC State jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the game after a solo home run from Patrick Bailey in the top of the second.
– The ACC Freshman of the Year drove a first-pitch fastball over the wall in right field for his 11thhome run.
– In the third inning, the Wolfpack extended its lead to 2-0 after a two-out RBI single by Josh McLain.
– Shane Shepard led off the frame with a single and advanced to third after a sacrifice bunt and groundout to score on the play.
– Virginia answered with a pair of runs in the bottom of the third to level the score at two after an RBI single from Jake McCarthy and a sac fly by Andy Weber.
– The Cavaliers took a 3-2 lead in the fourth after a throwing error by the Pack allowed the runner to score from third.
– NC State threatened in the top of the eighth after a two-out walk to Josh McLain and a double by Will Wilson, but unfortunately was unable to score a run to knot the score.
– Virginia tacked on an insurance run in the bottom half to take a 4-2 advantage and held on for the win.
Inside the Box Score
– Bailey led the Wolfpack at the plate with a 2-for-4 outing, including a solo homer and a double.
– Shepard also tallied two hits in the contest with a single and a double, while McLain and Wilson each had one hit.
– Wilson’s double extended his hitting streak to nine games, dating back to the first game against James Madison on May 8.
On the Mound
– Freshman Reid Johnston started on the mound for the Pack but struggled with his command and gave way to David Harrison in the third.
– Harrison pitched 2.2 innings with a pair of strikeouts but was charged with the loss after allowing an unearned run.
– Nick Swiney pitched 1.2 innings, while Nolan Clenney and Evan Justice each threw a third of an inning.
– Mathieu Gauthier closed out the game on the mound with the final two-thirds of an inning.
NC State returns to action tomorrow night against Florida State at 7 p.m. in its second game of the ACC Championship. The winner will advance to the semifinals on Saturday at 5 p.m. and face the winner of Duke and Louisville.
NC State Baseball
NC State Baseball Rankings Update After Another Undefeated Week
The NC State Baseball team is now 7-0 through two weeks of play, going 4-0 last week, defeating Coastal Carolina 16-4 on the road in a midweek game, and sweeping Belmont at home this past weekend (11-4, 7-0, 7-1).
The Wolfpack remain ranked 21st in the D1Baseball Top-25.
The Wolfpack moved up 11 spots to #19 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll, up 2 spots to #20 in the Coaches Poll, and up 1 spot to #24 in the Baseball America poll.
NC State will host Longwood today at 3pm in their next matchup.
NC State Baseball
NC State Sticks at #21 After Opening Weekend Sweep
NC State’s Men’s Baseball team stayed put at #21 in the D1Baseball Top-25 after an opening weekend sweep of Wagner.
NC State also stayed put at #25 in the Baseball America’s new poll, and stayed put at #30 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll.
The Wolfpack will play Coastal Carolina on the road this Wednesday at
NC State Baseball
NC State Picked 3rd in the Atlantic in the 2023 ACC Baseball Preseason Poll
The 2023 ACC Preseason Poll was released yesterday, and NC State is projected to finish 3rd in the Atlantic.
NC State finished 5th in the Atlantic Division in 2022, with a 14-15 record in Conference play.
NC State Baseball
The Doak is getting its renovation…and NC State fans aren’t exactly loving it
I was just about to write a piece about the Doak renovation going down.
Feb. 17 is right around the corner and #TheDoak is looking nice 👀 #Pack9 #GoPack pic.twitter.com/w64471DPFj
— NC State Athletics (@PackAthletics) January 25, 2023
But while I was over on Twitter, I saw a ton of comments on it, all of them NC State fans, and almost all of them critical of the new look.
Look, I don’t know what’s going on here. Maybe it’ll look a lot better once it’s done, or maybe the grass will match up a lot better when it greens up. But right now, it’s a little jarring. Here is how it used to look…
And here is how it’s looking right now…
Doak Field renovation coming along. Sod and turf almost completed #accbaseball #pack9 #ncsu pic.twitter.com/SYKgmSQZhi
— Allen (@BigalnRaleigh) January 19, 2023
Again, I’m going to wait until it’s really done before I cast judgement, but I think the official tweet from the school marketing it and drawing attention to it, has people thinking it’s in it’s final form. And maybe it is. But I hope it’s not.
I remember this being shared a while back…
This shows grass in foul territory and dirt in the 1st/3rd baselines. So I’m not sure when this turf thing came along. And while we’re on the subject, aren’t we a turf management school? Shouldn’t we be turning up our noses at artificial turf?
Apparently, this is a thing now, where foul territories are artificial turf and fair territory is grass. Here is Mississippi State’s baseball field doing the same thing.
🔜 #NewDude pic.twitter.com/dCoqhCKxLI
— Mississippi State Baseball (@HailStateBB) February 15, 2019
Can’t say I like it there either, honestly. It just seems like one of those fads. Remember when everyone was going crazy with field/court colors?
School with a grey field and school with a glow in the dark basketball court meet on blue turf. Winning coach gets dumped with French fries. College athletics at its absolute best. https://t.co/crEKoeLKbX pic.twitter.com/Bpeod50Sy4
— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) December 4, 2022
Good time to remind everyone that Memphis’ basketball court should be fired directly into the sun. https://t.co/jXpDbPQ7Iw pic.twitter.com/htyMv4sAXD
— Jim Weber (@JimMWeber) November 10, 2021
The worst basketball court in the history of the sport. Thanks a lot, Oregon. pic.twitter.com/842T5CYmIc
— Craig Miller (@junior_miller) January 30, 2022
Did anyone ever really like those? Do people like them now? Have they ever gotten a recruit to come to the school? Have they ever scared a recruit away?
I don’t know. You tell me. I’ll hold final judgment, but things NC State fans don’t seem like they’re going to follow along.