BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Battling its fourth preseason conference favorite in its last five games, the 10th-ranked NC State baseball team earned a 10-1 victory against the Campbell Fighting Camels Wednesday evening at Jim Perry Stadium.
The Wolfpack jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the contest and never trailed en route to improving to 8-0 on the year, while Campbell falls to 5-3.
“We played very, very well tonight,” said head coach Elliott Avent. “We played a really good baseball team and we knew that coming into the game. Our guys were ready to play, and they were loose.
“They came in with a good mentality and were ready to accept the challenge of facing Campbell’s starter [Seth Johnson], who had a ton of scouts in the stands to see him and who we’ve heard so much about.”
– NC State struck first in the contest, as sophomore Terrell Tatum launched the first home run of his NC State career in the second inning.
– Following an infield single from Tyler McDonough and a two-out walk from Vojtech Mensik, Tatum crushed a 2-2 fastball over the right field wall to put the Wolfpack on top, 3-0.
– Evan Edwards added to the Pack’s lead in the third with a solo homer, his team-leading fourth of the season to make it 4-0.
– Campbell looked to mount a two-out rally in the bottom of the third, as the Camels pushed across a run on a double down the right field line by Luis Gimenez.
– NC State then made a call to its bullpen to bring in sophomore Evan Justice, who induced a flyout to Tatum in right field with runners on second and third to end the threat.
– Brad Debo drove in the fifth run of the game for the Wolfpack with a sacrifice fly to left field after a pair of walks and a single from McDonough to load the bases.
– The Wolfpack took advantage of two Campbell errors to plate three unearned runs in the seventh to extend the lead to 8-1.
– A pair of RBI singles from McDonough and Debo stretched the NC State advantage to 10-1.
NC State will return to action this weekend to host the Minnesota Golden Gophers following the five-game road stretch. First pitch of Friday’s game is set for 3 p.m. at Doak Field at Dail Park and the matchup will be broadcast live on the ACC Network Extra.
NC State Picked 3rd in the Atlantic in the 2023 ACC Baseball Preseason Poll
The 2023 ACC Preseason Poll was released yesterday, and NC State is projected to finish 3rd in the Atlantic.
NC State finished 5th in the Atlantic Division in 2022, with a 14-15 record in Conference play.
The Doak is getting its renovation…and NC State fans aren’t exactly loving it
I was just about to write a piece about the Doak renovation going down.
— NC State Athletics (@PackAthletics) January 25, 2023
But while I was over on Twitter, I saw a ton of comments on it, all of them NC State fans, and almost all of them critical of the new look.
Look, I don’t know what’s going on here. Maybe it’ll look a lot better once it’s done, or maybe the grass will match up a lot better when it greens up. But right now, it’s a little jarring. Here is how it used to look…
And here is how it’s looking right now…
— Allen (@BigalnRaleigh) January 19, 2023
Again, I’m going to wait until it’s really done before I cast judgement, but I think the official tweet from the school marketing it and drawing attention to it, has people thinking it’s in it’s final form. And maybe it is. But I hope it’s not.
I remember this being shared a while back…
This shows grass in foul territory and dirt in the 1st/3rd baselines. So I’m not sure when this turf thing came along. And while we’re on the subject, aren’t we a turf management school? Shouldn’t we be turning up our noses at artificial turf?
Apparently, this is a thing now, where foul territories are artificial turf and fair territory is grass. Here is Mississippi State’s baseball field doing the same thing.
— Mississippi State Baseball (@HailStateBB) February 15, 2019
Can’t say I like it there either, honestly. It just seems like one of those fads. Remember when everyone was going crazy with field/court colors?
School with a grey field and school with a glow in the dark basketball court meet on blue turf. Winning coach gets dumped with French fries. College athletics at its absolute best. https://t.co/crEKoeLKbX pic.twitter.com/Bpeod50Sy4
— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) December 4, 2022
— Jim Weber (@JimMWeber) November 10, 2021
The worst basketball court in the history of the sport. Thanks a lot, Oregon. pic.twitter.com/842T5CYmIc
— Craig Miller (@junior_miller) January 30, 2022
Did anyone ever really like those? Do people like them now? Have they ever gotten a recruit to come to the school? Have they ever scared a recruit away?
I don’t know. You tell me. I’ll hold final judgment, but things NC State fans don’t seem like they’re going to follow along.
NC State Baseball is Ranked 21st in D1Baseball’s 2023 Preseason Poll
D1Baseball released their 2023 College Baseball Preseason Poll this week, and NC State is sitting at #21.
ACC Teams in the Preseason Top 25
6. Wake Forest
14. Virginia Tech
21. NC State
The Wolfpack will kick off their 2023 season with a 3-game series at home against Wagner on February 17th.
NC State’s 2023 Baseball Schedule is Here!
The NC State 2023 Baseball schedule is officially out!
The Wolfpack finished the 2022 season with a 36-21 record, with a 14-15 record in ACC play, finishing 5th in the conference. NC State made it to the finals of the ACC Championship, and was criminally snubbed from appearing in the NCAA Tournament