NC State Baseball
#10 NC State Sweeps Minnesota with Walkoff
RALEIGH, N.C. – The 10th-ranked NC State baseball team rallied to earn a 5-4 walkoff win against the Minnesota Golden Gophers Sunday afternoon at Doak Field at Dail Park to complete the series sweep.
With the go-ahead run on second base, Brad Debo ripped a line drive past a diving Minnesota first baseman and Evan Edwards raced around to score from second to give NC State its second walkoff win of the season.
NC State trailed 4-2 heading to the bottom of the ninth but scored three runs in the frame to remain unbeaten at 11-0, matching the best start for the program since 2004.
“Once again, I want to say what a great team Minnesota is,” said head coach Elliott Avent. “We understand who we were playing and that’s going to be one of the better teams we play all year. I think they’re going to have a great year.
“We played very, very well especially after getting behind 4-0. That ninth inning says it all, this team really battles and I’m really proud of that.”
– Minnesota (2-8) jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the contest, but NC State didn’t go away and continued to battle.
– Edwards singled to start the sixth and scored the Wolfpack’s first run on a single by Patrick Bailey.
– Bailey later scored on an RBI groundout from Terrell Tatum, as NC State trimmed the margin to 4-2.
– Both teams were held scoreless in the seventh and eighth innings, forcing the Wolfpack to win it in the bottom of the ninth.
– Lawson McArthur and Jonny Butler each battled to draw a walk to start the frame and advanced to third and second, respectively, on a wild pitch.
– A sacrifice fly from Will Wilson scored McArthur before Edwards delivered a clutch double down the right field line to plate Butler and knot the game at four.
– With two outs in the inning, Debo came up big for the Wolfpack with the game-winning hit to lift the Wolfpack to its second walkoff win of the season.
Inside the Box Score
– Edwards led the Wolfpack with his second career four-hit performance, as he was 4-for-5 with two runs and an RBI.
– Debo and Tyler McDonough were both 2-for-5 with the former adding an RBI.
– Bailey, Vojtech Mensik and Tatum each had one hit in the contest.
– Bailey, Butler, Edwards and McDonough have all reached base safely in every game this season.
– Debo and Edwards extended their hitting streaks to six games.
On the Mound
– Reid Johnston made his first start of the season and pitched four innings before turning it over to the bullpen.
– The Wolfpack’s bullpen threw 5.0 innings, allowing just three hits and one earned run.
– Evan Justice went two innings and struck out a batter, prior to Nolan Clenney throwing two hitless innings with three strikeouts.
– Nick Swiney struck out both batters he faced, and Michael Bienlien finished the game on the mound to pick up his first win of the season.
NC State returns to action Wednesday evening when the squad travels to NC Central. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. at the Historic Durham Athletic Park.
Photo Credit: @NCStateBaseball
NC State Baseball
NC State Baseball Rankings Update After Another Undefeated Week
The NC State Baseball team is now 7-0 through two weeks of play, going 4-0 last week, defeating Coastal Carolina 16-4 on the road in a midweek game, and sweeping Belmont at home this past weekend (11-4, 7-0, 7-1).
The Wolfpack remain ranked 21st in the D1Baseball Top-25.
The Wolfpack moved up 11 spots to #19 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll, up 2 spots to #20 in the Coaches Poll, and up 1 spot to #24 in the Baseball America poll.
NC State will host Longwood today at 3pm in their next matchup.
NC State Baseball
NC State Sticks at #21 After Opening Weekend Sweep
NC State’s Men’s Baseball team stayed put at #21 in the D1Baseball Top-25 after an opening weekend sweep of Wagner.
NC State also stayed put at #25 in the Baseball America’s new poll, and stayed put at #30 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll.
The Wolfpack will play Coastal Carolina on the road this Wednesday at
NC State Baseball
NC State Picked 3rd in the Atlantic in the 2023 ACC Baseball Preseason Poll
The 2023 ACC Preseason Poll was released yesterday, and NC State is projected to finish 3rd in the Atlantic.
NC State finished 5th in the Atlantic Division in 2022, with a 14-15 record in Conference play.
NC State Baseball
The Doak is getting its renovation…and NC State fans aren’t exactly loving it
I was just about to write a piece about the Doak renovation going down.
Feb. 17 is right around the corner and #TheDoak is looking nice 👀 #Pack9 #GoPack pic.twitter.com/w64471DPFj
— NC State Athletics (@PackAthletics) January 25, 2023
But while I was over on Twitter, I saw a ton of comments on it, all of them NC State fans, and almost all of them critical of the new look.
Look, I don’t know what’s going on here. Maybe it’ll look a lot better once it’s done, or maybe the grass will match up a lot better when it greens up. But right now, it’s a little jarring. Here is how it used to look…
And here is how it’s looking right now…
Doak Field renovation coming along. Sod and turf almost completed #accbaseball #pack9 #ncsu pic.twitter.com/SYKgmSQZhi
— Allen (@BigalnRaleigh) January 19, 2023
Again, I’m going to wait until it’s really done before I cast judgement, but I think the official tweet from the school marketing it and drawing attention to it, has people thinking it’s in it’s final form. And maybe it is. But I hope it’s not.
I remember this being shared a while back…
This shows grass in foul territory and dirt in the 1st/3rd baselines. So I’m not sure when this turf thing came along. And while we’re on the subject, aren’t we a turf management school? Shouldn’t we be turning up our noses at artificial turf?
Apparently, this is a thing now, where foul territories are artificial turf and fair territory is grass. Here is Mississippi State’s baseball field doing the same thing.
🔜 #NewDude pic.twitter.com/dCoqhCKxLI
— Mississippi State Baseball (@HailStateBB) February 15, 2019
Can’t say I like it there either, honestly. It just seems like one of those fads. Remember when everyone was going crazy with field/court colors?
School with a grey field and school with a glow in the dark basketball court meet on blue turf. Winning coach gets dumped with French fries. College athletics at its absolute best. https://t.co/crEKoeLKbX pic.twitter.com/Bpeod50Sy4
— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) December 4, 2022
Good time to remind everyone that Memphis’ basketball court should be fired directly into the sun. https://t.co/jXpDbPQ7Iw pic.twitter.com/htyMv4sAXD
— Jim Weber (@JimMWeber) November 10, 2021
The worst basketball court in the history of the sport. Thanks a lot, Oregon. pic.twitter.com/842T5CYmIc
— Craig Miller (@junior_miller) January 30, 2022
Did anyone ever really like those? Do people like them now? Have they ever gotten a recruit to come to the school? Have they ever scared a recruit away?
I don’t know. You tell me. I’ll hold final judgment, but things NC State fans don’t seem like they’re going to follow along.