CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Off to its best start in program history and one of the nation’s two remaining unbeaten teams, the second-ranked NC State baseball team continues to find ways to win as the Wolfpack rallied for a 6-5 win against Charlotte Tuesday night at BB&T Ballpark.
Charlotte jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the contest before extending the lead to 4-1, but a three-run homer from Patrick Bailey in the top of the eighth knotted the score at four. The Wolfpack added two runs in the top of the ninth and held off the 49ers in the bottom half to seal the win.
NC State moves to 16-0 on the year, while Charlotte falls to 8-8. Kent Klyman picked up the win on the mound and is now 5-0 to lead all ACC pitchers, while Dalton Feeney nailed down his fourth save of the season.
“We keep getting better and our guys are resilient,” said head coach Elliott Avent. “Tonight, we were down 4-1 and with the way Charlotte was playing, to come back and win is that much more impressive. They were not only making every play, but also their pitching was outstanding. It seemed like if we did hit a ball hard, it was right at one of their guys.
“When things like that happen, it looks like it’s just one of those nights, but our guys didn’t think that way. They came in ready to roll in the eighth inning.”
– Charlotte scored first in the game with a pair of runs in the bottom of the third following a pair of RBI singles from Carson Johnson and Drew Ober to grab a 2-0 lead.
– NC State answered with a run in the top of the fifth after two-out walks from Lawson McArthur and Terrell Tatum before Jonny Butler came up big for the Wolfpack with a clutch, pinch-hit single through the right side to plate McArthur.
– The 49ers added a run in the sixth on a solo homer from Dominick Cammarata and a single by Johnson to pull ahead, 4-1.
– Will Wilson sparked the Pack’s rally in the eighth, as he drew a leadoff walk and Evan Edwards followed with a single up the middle.
– After working his way into a 3-1 count, Bailey crushed the next pitch from Ryan Czanstkowski over the right field wall to tie the game at four apiece.
– The sophomore hit his third homer of the year 402 feet into the right field bleachers and each of his home runs this season have been go-ahead or game-tying hits.
– Tatum doubled down the right field line to start the ninth and scored on a two-out RBI single from Wilson to give NC State its first lead of the day at 5-4.
– After a single from Edwards and a hit-by-pitch to load the bases, Brad Debo battled to draw a walk, pushing across what proved to be the winning run.
– Charlotte threatened in the bottom of the ninth, but the inning took a turn for NC State after a great block on a pitch in the dirt from Bailey and the runner on second tried to advance to third, but the sophomore catcher fired a strike to Dillon Cooper, who applied the tag for the second out of the inning.
– Dalton Feeney then forced the next batter to fly out to McArthur in right field to end the game.
NC State will return to action Wednesday afternoon when the Wolfpack hosts George Mason. First pitch is slated for 4 p.m. at Doak Field at Dail Park.
Photo Credit: @NCStateBaseball