NC State Baseball
South Carolina Hands #1 NC State First Midweek Loss, 10-8
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – After the top-ranked NC State baseball team rallied to even the score at eight, South Carolina’s Jacob Olson hit a walkoff home run in the bottom of the ninth to give the Gamecocks a 10-8 victory Tuesday evening at BB&T Ballpark.
The Wolfpack suffers its first midweek loss of the season and just the second in the past two years. During that span, NC State has compiled a 17-1 mark in midweek games.
NC State moves to 27-3 on the year, while South Carolina improves to 18-11.
– NC State and South Carolina each displayed their high-powered offenses in the first inning, as the Wolfpack scored four runs in the top half and the Gamecocks countered with seven.
– After a leadoff single from Jonny Butler, Will Wilson launched his team-leading ninth home run of the season to give NC State a 2-0 lead. The junior shortstop is now third in the ACC in homers on the year.
– Brad Debo smashed a two-run homer a few batters later, as Tyler McDonough walked prior to Debo hitting his third round-tripper over the left field wall, giving the Wolfpack a 4-0 lead.
– South Carolina hit three home runs in the bottom of the first, scoring seven runs to pull ahead.
– An RBI single from Wilson helped NC State cut the deficit to 7-5, as he drove in Devonte Brown who walked to start the inning.
– The Gamecocks plated their eighth run of the game in the fourth, but the Pack answered with a run in the top of the fifth.
– Evan Edwards led off with a single and advanced to third, scoring on a sacrifice fly from Debo.
– Trailing by two heading to the eighth, the first two NC State batters walked and scored on a single by Wilson, as SC committed a pair of errors allowing Vojtech Mensik and Butler to score.
– The Wolfpack looked to add more in the inning, but a pair of flyouts and a swinging strikeout ended the threat.
– With two outs in the bottom of the ninth and NC State looking to force extra innings, Olson hit a two-run walkoff homer to left field to give the Gamecocks the win.
Inside the Box Score
– Wilson tallied a game-high four hits and also drove in three runs, while Debo added a home run and also had three RBI.
– Butler and Mensik were both 2-for-4 with the former adding two runs and the latter one.
– Bailey and Edwards both reached safely to extend their streaks to 30 games, as they have reached safely in every game this year.
On the Mound
– NC State used eight pitchers in the contest with Michael Bienlien leading the way with 3.1 innings pitched.
– He struck out three batters, walked two and allowed just one hit.
– David Harrison was also strong in relief, working 2.2 innings with three strikeouts, yielding one earned run.
– Wolfpack pitchers only allowed one hit to the Gamecocks with a runner in scoring position, but the home runs proved to be the difference.
NC State will travel to Boston College this weekend for a three-game series against the Eagles at Harrington Athletics Village. Friday’s game is set for 4 p.m.
NC State Baseball
NC State Baseball Rankings Update After Another Undefeated Week
The NC State Baseball team is now 7-0 through two weeks of play, going 4-0 last week, defeating Coastal Carolina 16-4 on the road in a midweek game, and sweeping Belmont at home this past weekend (11-4, 7-0, 7-1).
The Wolfpack remain ranked 21st in the D1Baseball Top-25.
The Wolfpack moved up 11 spots to #19 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll, up 2 spots to #20 in the Coaches Poll, and up 1 spot to #24 in the Baseball America poll.
NC State will host Longwood today at 3pm in their next matchup.
NC State Baseball
NC State Sticks at #21 After Opening Weekend Sweep
NC State’s Men’s Baseball team stayed put at #21 in the D1Baseball Top-25 after an opening weekend sweep of Wagner.
NC State also stayed put at #25 in the Baseball America’s new poll, and stayed put at #30 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll.
The Wolfpack will play Coastal Carolina on the road this Wednesday at
NC State Baseball
NC State Picked 3rd in the Atlantic in the 2023 ACC Baseball Preseason Poll
The 2023 ACC Preseason Poll was released yesterday, and NC State is projected to finish 3rd in the Atlantic.
NC State finished 5th in the Atlantic Division in 2022, with a 14-15 record in Conference play.
NC State Baseball
The Doak is getting its renovation…and NC State fans aren’t exactly loving it
I was just about to write a piece about the Doak renovation going down.
Feb. 17 is right around the corner and #TheDoak is looking nice 👀 #Pack9 #GoPack pic.twitter.com/w64471DPFj
— NC State Athletics (@PackAthletics) January 25, 2023
But while I was over on Twitter, I saw a ton of comments on it, all of them NC State fans, and almost all of them critical of the new look.
Look, I don’t know what’s going on here. Maybe it’ll look a lot better once it’s done, or maybe the grass will match up a lot better when it greens up. But right now, it’s a little jarring. Here is how it used to look…
And here is how it’s looking right now…
Doak Field renovation coming along. Sod and turf almost completed #accbaseball #pack9 #ncsu pic.twitter.com/SYKgmSQZhi
— Allen (@BigalnRaleigh) January 19, 2023
Again, I’m going to wait until it’s really done before I cast judgement, but I think the official tweet from the school marketing it and drawing attention to it, has people thinking it’s in it’s final form. And maybe it is. But I hope it’s not.
I remember this being shared a while back…
This shows grass in foul territory and dirt in the 1st/3rd baselines. So I’m not sure when this turf thing came along. And while we’re on the subject, aren’t we a turf management school? Shouldn’t we be turning up our noses at artificial turf?
Apparently, this is a thing now, where foul territories are artificial turf and fair territory is grass. Here is Mississippi State’s baseball field doing the same thing.
🔜 #NewDude pic.twitter.com/dCoqhCKxLI
— Mississippi State Baseball (@HailStateBB) February 15, 2019
Can’t say I like it there either, honestly. It just seems like one of those fads. Remember when everyone was going crazy with field/court colors?
School with a grey field and school with a glow in the dark basketball court meet on blue turf. Winning coach gets dumped with French fries. College athletics at its absolute best. https://t.co/crEKoeLKbX pic.twitter.com/Bpeod50Sy4
— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) December 4, 2022
Good time to remind everyone that Memphis’ basketball court should be fired directly into the sun. https://t.co/jXpDbPQ7Iw pic.twitter.com/htyMv4sAXD
— Jim Weber (@JimMWeber) November 10, 2021
The worst basketball court in the history of the sport. Thanks a lot, Oregon. pic.twitter.com/842T5CYmIc
— Craig Miller (@junior_miller) January 30, 2022
Did anyone ever really like those? Do people like them now? Have they ever gotten a recruit to come to the school? Have they ever scared a recruit away?
I don’t know. You tell me. I’ll hold final judgment, but things NC State fans don’t seem like they’re going to follow along.