CHARLOTTE, N.C. – After the top-ranked NC State baseball team rallied to even the score at eight, South Carolina’s Jacob Olson hit a walkoff home run in the bottom of the ninth to give the Gamecocks a 10-8 victory Tuesday evening at BB&T Ballpark.
The Wolfpack suffers its first midweek loss of the season and just the second in the past two years. During that span, NC State has compiled a 17-1 mark in midweek games.
NC State moves to 27-3 on the year, while South Carolina improves to 18-11.
– NC State and South Carolina each displayed their high-powered offenses in the first inning, as the Wolfpack scored four runs in the top half and the Gamecocks countered with seven.
– After a leadoff single from Jonny Butler, Will Wilson launched his team-leading ninth home run of the season to give NC State a 2-0 lead. The junior shortstop is now third in the ACC in homers on the year.
– Brad Debo smashed a two-run homer a few batters later, as Tyler McDonough walked prior to Debo hitting his third round-tripper over the left field wall, giving the Wolfpack a 4-0 lead.
– South Carolina hit three home runs in the bottom of the first, scoring seven runs to pull ahead.
– An RBI single from Wilson helped NC State cut the deficit to 7-5, as he drove in Devonte Brown who walked to start the inning.
– The Gamecocks plated their eighth run of the game in the fourth, but the Pack answered with a run in the top of the fifth.
– Evan Edwards led off with a single and advanced to third, scoring on a sacrifice fly from Debo.
– Trailing by two heading to the eighth, the first two NC State batters walked and scored on a single by Wilson, as SC committed a pair of errors allowing Vojtech Mensik and Butler to score.
– The Wolfpack looked to add more in the inning, but a pair of flyouts and a swinging strikeout ended the threat.
– With two outs in the bottom of the ninth and NC State looking to force extra innings, Olson hit a two-run walkoff homer to left field to give the Gamecocks the win.
Inside the Box Score
– Wilson tallied a game-high four hits and also drove in three runs, while Debo added a home run and also had three RBI.
– Butler and Mensik were both 2-for-4 with the former adding two runs and the latter one.
– Bailey and Edwards both reached safely to extend their streaks to 30 games, as they have reached safely in every game this year.
On the Mound
– NC State used eight pitchers in the contest with Michael Bienlien leading the way with 3.1 innings pitched.
– He struck out three batters, walked two and allowed just one hit.
– David Harrison was also strong in relief, working 2.2 innings with three strikeouts, yielding one earned run.
– Wolfpack pitchers only allowed one hit to the Gamecocks with a runner in scoring position, but the home runs proved to be the difference.
NC State will travel to Boston College this weekend for a three-game series against the Eagles at Harrington Athletics Village. Friday’s game is set for 4 p.m.
Today’s Baseball Game vs. Winthrop will be Rescheduled
#14 NC State was scheduled to host Winthrop in a midweek game today, but the game is going to be rescheduled due to several members of the team testing positive for the flu. Check out the release below.
The baseball game between NC State and Winthrop originally scheduled for Tuesday, March 5, will be rescheduled for a later date.
Several members of the Wolfpack team tested positive for flu so the decision was made to move the game for precautionary measures.
That means that NC State’s next game will be their first ACC game, beginning a 3-game series against Boston College (6-3) here in Raleigh on Friday afternoon at 3pm.
NC State Baseball Top-25 Rankings Update After a 5-0 Week
NC State 3B Alec Makarewicz Earns ACC Player of the Week Honors
NC State Senior 3rd Baseman Alec Makarewicz earned ACC Player of the Week honors for his performances against Queens and Towson last week.
Makarewicz’s hot streak continued into a perfect 5-0 week for the Wolfpack at home. Makarewicz posted a .455 batting average with a team-high 10 hits, four doubles, 13 RBI, 20 total bases and six extra-base hits. The Longwood, Florida, native opened his week with a 3-for-4 performance with four RBI, three runs scored, a home run and a double as NC State routed Queens, 17-2. The Wolfpack third baseman then delivered three additional multi-hit performances in the sweep over Towson, capping off the weekend with a 3-for-5 day at the plate with three doubles, five RBI and a run scored. Makarewicz’s final swing of the weekend was a run-rule, walk-off double to center field as the Pack completed the weekend sweep with a 14-4 win over the Tigers. On the season, Makarewicz leads NC State with 24 RBI, 39 total bases, 19 hits and 10 extra-base hits. (ACC)
The Transfer from East Carolina has looked right at home here in Raleigh through the first two weeks of the 2024 College Baseball season.
#14 NC State Beats Towson 14-4 in Series Finale, Completing Sweep
#14 NC State (9-2) beat Towson (1-10) 14-4 yesterday afternoon, completing the 4-game sweep.
Freshman Ryan Marohn picked up his 2nd Win of the season, giving up 4 earned runs in 5.2 innings pitched (89 pitches). He struck out 5, while walking none. Through his first three collegiate starts, Marohn is 2-0 with a 4.50 ERA, with 14 k’s in 14 innings pitched (8 walks).
SR 3B Alec Makarewicz continues to destroy baseballs with the baseball bat. He was 3 for 5 with 5 RBI’s. All 3 of A-Mak’s hits were doubles. Makarewicz is currently batting .404 with an OPS of 1.291.
— #Pack9 ⚾️ (@NCStateBaseball) March 3, 2024
SO Josh Hogue, who was the Designated Hitter, was the only other player with a multi-hit performance (the team had 11 hits). He was 2 for 4 with 3 RBI’s and 3 Runs. One of those hits was his 1st Home Run as a member of NC State. On the year, Hogue is batting .414 with an OPS of 1.041.
— #Pack9 ⚾️ (@NCStateBaseball) March 3, 2024
JR C Jacob Cozart and RS FR LF Drew Lanphere both had 2 RBI’s, while Cozart also had 3 Runs. On the year, Cozart and Lanphere are batting .371 and .400 respectively, with OPS’ of 1.369 and 1.114 respectively.
Freshman Jacob Dudan picked up his 2nd Save of the season. Through 6 appearances, Dudan has yet to give up an earned run, with batters hitting only .222 against him.
Up Next: The Wolfpack will host Winthrop at 3pm tomorrow.