- I want us to be a team that can play a lot of different combinations, but at this point I feel like we are only really playing eight guys.
- I want us to be able to switch defenses a lot, get out in transition, and I want our veterans to play like veterans.
- That is why it is so important for both CJ Bryce and Markell Johnson to play great.
- In Manny Bates, for the 1st time since I have been here, we have someone that can protect the rim, so we need to continue to improve on that.
Head Coach Kevin Keatts met with the media in his postgame press conference after NC State beat St. Francis (NY) 95-64. You can watch it here, or check out the bulleted breakdown below.
- What I did not realize was that we had 60 points in the paint.
- In the 1st half, I was disappointed in our rebounding, but we corrected that in the 2nd half.
- In the 2nd half, that was the team that I envisioned with the press. I was good. We were able to turn them over 20 times, which is great.
- I think we are getting better, especially from the FIU game to this one.
- He is playing really good basketball. He is doing everything right.
- The only thing that is lacking right now is his 3-point shooting.
- He is still getting 18 to 19 points a game which is great.
- Because he is a transfer, he did not know whether or not he could take a leadership role on the team.
- I have told him to start to own up to your role at NC State because you have a voice in this locker room, which I think he is starting to embrace.
- When I recruited Manny, I was looking for a taller and athletic guy.
- He is 6-11, tall, athletic and he can run the floor.
- He will get better as the season progresses.
- You are starting to see his talent offensively, especially around the rim with those lobs.
Markell Johnson’s shooting…
- I’m not concerned about it. It is going to take some time to find his groove and his rhythm and right now, it’s just not there. He will be fine.
- It could be as soon as the next game that it clicks for him.
- He hasn’t had great practices. Hasn’t been able to score the ball well, but once it happens he will be fine.
- I think it is just a residual effect of his ankle injury. When he twisted it, it was almost to the point that I thought he had broken it.
- He just has a fear of shooting shots that he is going to come down on someone.
- Until the shooting comes, he will still be able to be a facilitator for us.
A.J. Taylor’s Injury…
- He had a minor surgery on his knee before he got here.
- It has been bothering him a lot, and I am unsure if we are ever going to be able to get completely over it.
- We are going to take him back to the doctor and take a look at it to see where he is now.
- If it doesn’t get better, we may have to see about redshirting him.
Danny Dixon’s Injury…
- Danny was feeling good for 2 or 3 days, but his foot was bothering him.
- I want him to be healthy because we will need him down the stretch.
Talking about Rebounding at the half…
- I didn’t say a word about it at halftime.
- I could hear my assistant coaches yelling at them about it, so I figured they had already heard it.
- I talked more about coming out with good energy and continuing to improve at half.
Team at this point…
NC State Makes Top-10 for Graduate Transfer Guard Justin Kier
George Mason Graduate Transfer Guard Justin Kier (6’4″/197) included NC State in his list of Final 10 schools.
— Andrew Slater (@Andrew__Slater) April 13, 2020
Kier was granted a fifth year of eligibility after missing all but 9 games last season due to injury. He was expected to arguably be George Mason’s best returning player next year, averaging 14.5 points and 6.5 rebounds, earning All-Atlantic 10 2nd Team honors.
NC State Reaches Out to UAB Transfer Makhtar Guyer
According to Rivals’ Corey Evans, NC State has reached out to UAB Transfer Forward Makhtar Guyer (6’10″/210), after he announced he was transferring on Friday.
Virginia Tech has offered UAB transfer Makhtar Guyer, he tells @RivalsPortal.
Georgetown, Miami, Mississippi State, NC State and San Diego State have reached out since his transfer yesterday. @Hokie_Haven
— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) April 11, 2020
— Makhtar Gueye (@Thelionkilla) April 11, 2020
Guyer has one year of eligibility remaining. Last year as a Junior at UAB, Guyer averaged 6.8 points and 5.1 rebounds, starting in 27 of 31 games.
NC State Accepts Recommendation to Move Case to IARP
NC State has accepted the recommendation to move their violation’s case from the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions to the Independent Accountability Resolution Process.
“We’ve stated throughout this process that NC State will accept accountability for any shortcomings and defend ourselves aggressively where we feel it is appropriate and necessary to do so,” Woodson wrote in a statement released by the school on Wednesday. “As our response to the Referral Petition demonstrates, we do not think NC State can receive an objective or fair hearing before the Committee on Infractions in this matter. We believe the only remaining option is that our case be moved to the Independent Accountability Resolution Process.
“NC State has a long history of working cooperatively with the NCAA, and we remain committed to working collaboratively through the IARP to address concerns and to resolve this matter as fairly and efficiently as possible.” (WRAL)
The IARP is made up of decision makers that are investigators and legal advocates that are independent of any NCAA teams.
The difference between the traditional process, and the IARP, is that the latter’s decision is final, unable to be appealed.
Vote For NC State Men’s Basketball Fans in Fox College Hoops 64-Team Bracket
In the absence of the NCAA Tournament, Fox College Hoops has created a 64-team bracket to determine the best fanbase of Men’s Basketball teams.
They determined 60 of the contestants based of the Men’s Basketball teams with the most Twitter followers. The final four were determined by the highest rated teams not yet selected according to the NET Rankings.
You: So how does this #FOXFanVote thing work?
— FOX College Hoops (@CBBonFOX) April 5, 2020
The winner of each matchup is determined by fan vote, obviously.
NC State’s Men’s Basketball fans were given a #8 seed in the East Bracket.
The winner of the bracket, will earn quite a gift. Fox College Hoops will place a billboard of that team in close proximity to their rival.
Go ahead and vote for NC State to beat Alabama in the 1st round right now.