- I want us to be a team that can play a lot of different combinations, but at this point I feel like we are only really playing eight guys.
- I want us to be able to switch defenses a lot, get out in transition, and I want our veterans to play like veterans.
- That is why it is so important for both CJ Bryce and Markell Johnson to play great.
- In Manny Bates, for the 1st time since I have been here, we have someone that can protect the rim, so we need to continue to improve on that.
Head Coach Kevin Keatts met with the media in his postgame press conference after NC State beat St. Francis (NY) 95-64. You can watch it here, or check out the bulleted breakdown below.
- What I did not realize was that we had 60 points in the paint.
- In the 1st half, I was disappointed in our rebounding, but we corrected that in the 2nd half.
- In the 2nd half, that was the team that I envisioned with the press. I was good. We were able to turn them over 20 times, which is great.
- I think we are getting better, especially from the FIU game to this one.
- He is playing really good basketball. He is doing everything right.
- The only thing that is lacking right now is his 3-point shooting.
- He is still getting 18 to 19 points a game which is great.
- Because he is a transfer, he did not know whether or not he could take a leadership role on the team.
- I have told him to start to own up to your role at NC State because you have a voice in this locker room, which I think he is starting to embrace.
- When I recruited Manny, I was looking for a taller and athletic guy.
- He is 6-11, tall, athletic and he can run the floor.
- He will get better as the season progresses.
- You are starting to see his talent offensively, especially around the rim with those lobs.
Markell Johnson’s shooting…
- I’m not concerned about it. It is going to take some time to find his groove and his rhythm and right now, it’s just not there. He will be fine.
- It could be as soon as the next game that it clicks for him.
- He hasn’t had great practices. Hasn’t been able to score the ball well, but once it happens he will be fine.
- I think it is just a residual effect of his ankle injury. When he twisted it, it was almost to the point that I thought he had broken it.
- He just has a fear of shooting shots that he is going to come down on someone.
- Until the shooting comes, he will still be able to be a facilitator for us.
A.J. Taylor’s Injury…
- He had a minor surgery on his knee before he got here.
- It has been bothering him a lot, and I am unsure if we are ever going to be able to get completely over it.
- We are going to take him back to the doctor and take a look at it to see where he is now.
- If it doesn’t get better, we may have to see about redshirting him.
Danny Dixon’s Injury…
- Danny was feeling good for 2 or 3 days, but his foot was bothering him.
- I want him to be healthy because we will need him down the stretch.
Talking about Rebounding at the half…
- I didn’t say a word about it at halftime.
- I could hear my assistant coaches yelling at them about it, so I figured they had already heard it.
- I talked more about coming out with good energy and continuing to improve at half.
Team at this point…