NC State head coach Dave Doeren hosted his weekly press conference yesterday. Here’s a BULLETED breakdown of his main points.
Previewing Wake Forest
- NC State vs. Wake Forest is longest continuous ACC rivalry
- 3rd-longest in the nation.
- Series began in 1910.
- Wake has advantage of having played a week.
- Unique style of zone-read offense with the mesh and the RPO game.
- Lost a lot of skill on offense.
- Players they have showed a lot of athleticism against Clemson.
- Returning tailbacks with lots of stats.
- Speed and strength.
- Slot receiver Taylor Morin is a playmaker.
- Up-tempo offense.
- One of fastest no huddle offenses they will face.
- Defense has very experienced Front-7
- More depth and rotation on D-Line.
- Lots of respect for RS SR DL Carlos Basham.
- NC State’s D needs to get them off of the field.
- Tempo offenses struggle when they can’t get a 1st down.
Isaiah Moore Wearing #1
- He earned it.
- Represents team as a person, student and as an athlete.
- What he’s doing in the community right now.
- Likes holding people accountable.
- Speaks from the heart.
- Have about 95% of guys back
LB Louis Acceus Stepping Away From Playing Football
- Continuation of injuries he’s been dealing with.
- Best thing for him was to become a coach.
- Has tremendous respect from players and coaches.
Tim Beck’s Offense
- Won’t see whole playbook.
- Slowed down by COVID set back.
- Began repping what they needed to begin season with.
- Will see some formation similarities, but system itself will be a lot different.
- Going to be a lot of rotation.
- Some backups will play as much as starters due to tempo, 1st game, and COVID setback.
“F” Position on Depth Chart
- Like an H-Back.
- Will align in a lot of places.
- Tight Ends have a lot of alignments and assignments in this system.
SAM Linebacker instead of BUCK Linebacker
- SAM, MIKE and WILL are how Tony Gibson has always done his system.
- Gibson has cross-trained through camp.
- Drake Thomas plays multiple spots.
“OR”on Depth Chart
- Those players have earned the right to be called starters.
Moving Ikem Ekwonu from LT to LG
- Played G in High School.
- Wanted to have best 5 blockers on field, and this got Tyrone Riley out there at LT.
- Can always bounce back to LT if Riley gets tired.
- Tim McKay has had a great camp.
- Team has to be great in supporting each other.
- Cutouts of Zach Galifianakis and Bill Cowher in the stands.
- Fingers crossed there will be fans at the next game, because there isn’t another home game in September.
- Makes plays every day.
- Learned playbook very quickly.
- Catches ball naturally.
- Good route runner.
- Earned trust because he’s the same every day.
- Shyheim Battle and Cecil Powell have been very consistent.
- Teshaun Smith is a proven player who has played a lot.
- Malik Dunlap played a lot last year.
- Those are 4 corners we can play and rotate.
- Freshman Aydan White has done really well in camp.
- Not ready to go. Week-to-week.
- With NCAA allowing this to be a zero year from an eligibility standpoint, going to see how long it takes for him to get back.