- It’s critical to be able to stay on the field and finish a game like that.
- Those kids are hungry. That running back room has a lot of character.
- They’re competing, cheering for each other, but competing against each other.
- They want to outdo each other during the game. They want the ball.
- Our offensive line takes a lot of pride in how hard they run. It’s a good group.
- Jordan Houston gets left out of that group, but I think Jordan does some good things for us too.
- We missed Trent Pennix tonight. Trent is a guy that’s been coming on in practice. That’s another back.
Dave Doeren met with the media for his postgame press conference after NC State beat Duke 31-20 yesterday. You can watch it here, or check out a bulleted breakdown below.
- It’s great to be 4-1.
- Proud of the fight and resiliency in our team.
- We shot ourselves in the foot, penalty wise, in the 1st half.
- We made it really hard.
- We settled in. The defense in the 2nd half was outstanding.
- Losing both our starting safeties, one to the ejection and the other to an injury.
- I was so proud of Isaac Duffy, a walk-on safety from Clayton High School that’s earned a scholarship here, the way he came in and played. He played well.
- Devan Boykin coming in and breaking up a pass in the end zone in the end.
- Payton Wilson obviously stood out.
- Jaylon Scott as well.
- Offensively, we didn’t have a great game.
- We turned the ball over twice.
- We were physical in the 2nd half in particular, especially in the 4th quarter.
- Our run game picked up towards the end of the game.
- We did some nice things.
- We made some tough catches.
- Thayer Thomas’ catch was unbelievable in the end zone.
- Bailey Hockman stepped in and did some things well and didn’t do some things well.
- It’ll be a great opportunity for him.
- We probably won’t have Devin Leary for a while.
- I don’t know the exact injury, a lower-leg injury, but it doesn’t look like we’ll have him for a while.
- Once I know, probably Monday, I’ll be able to give you the specifics.
- He’s a tough kid. I hate it for him to get injured like that because I know how much this game means to him, how much this team means to him.
- So, next man up. Bailey and Ben Finley and Ty Evans will have to be ready to roll for us at quarterback.
- It was a great comeback win, and guys just kept responding.
- The blocked punt for a touchdown by Levi Jones and Max Fisher was a huge play in the game.
- Give Duke credit. They had a good game plan. They attacked us and did some good things early in the game that had us behind.
Devin Leary Coming Back to Sideline…
- Well, he loves his teammates. He’s a great young man.
- I feel for him. He’s worked really hard, and he’s playing really well.
- I thought he got concussed when I saw the targeting hit. When I went down there it was his ankle that he was worried about.
- So, they’ll have to do x-rays and those kinds of things to figure out what it is.
- I knew he’d be back on the field if he could be to watch. That’s what he said. He said ‘tell these guys to finish.’ He’s got a lot of guts. He’s a tough young man.
What Doeren said to Leary…
- I was just trying to comfort him.
- Usually when you get down there, you’re just trying to figure out what’s wrong.
- I thought he was out, like I said, so I was trying to get out there to see if he was awake.
- He was wide awake. He was very alert. He said his ankle was bothering him.
- I was just trying to get him calmed down so they could get a good evaluation on him.
- He was very coherent, very understanding of what was going on. He just started talking about his teammates at that point.
Young guys stepping up at Safety…
- First of all, we’ve got to learn how to tackle with our head not being involved in it.
- It’s hard, you know, when a player is going down.
- The elevation changes on a runner sometimes, and as a defender you’ve already launched at a certain level and you end up not hitting him where you thought you were going to hit him.
- That’s a hard play, but we’ve got to really get better there.
- As far as stepping up, I couldn’t be prouder.
- It was Rakeim Ashford early in the season.
- Then it was Devan Boykin, and now it’s Duffy.
- You saw Joshua Pierre-Louis do it.
- It’s a revolving door back there, but they are getting results.
- That’s a credit to coach Gibson and the defensive staff, Coach DeForest and Coach Aughtry-Lindsay.
- Those guys have had to play a lot of guys.
- Duffy was ready. You’ve got to give that man a lot of credit.
Levi Jones’ blocked punt…
- He does have a knack for blocking punts, but this was a called block.
- Last week was just a return and he was just the guy forcing the punt.
- This week was a called blocked punt.
- Coach Goebbel had a good scheme.
- Delbert Mimms kind of was working up the field to keep their guy from getting down on Levi, and Levi took a good angle and made a play.
- It was great to see Max Fisher (a guy that played receiver that we moved to Safety because of our injuries there).
- He’s a guy that’s been selfless.
- Probably would be getting playing time on offense.
- He’s had to learn how to play our defense the last 2 weeks, so it was great to see him get rewarded with that touchdown.
His halftime speech…
- It wasn’t a real ‘rah-rah’ talk in there.
- It was very matter of fact, like ‘Hey, we’ve got 8 penalties for 106 yards, and they’ve got one for 10. They’ve blocked a punt for a touchdown. We’ve blocked a punt for a touchdown. The difference is us beating us. If you guys would just play football and quit being idiots, we’re going to win. You’ve got to own it and be a man, and step up and start playing the way you’re coached.’
- They did.
- We’re a young football team.
- I saw a stat the other day that 66 percent of our snaps are by Freshmen, Redshirt Freshmen or Sophomores.
- We’ve got to be able to be a little more mature, even though we’re young, with what we are doing on the field. It got fixed in the second half.
Importance of a come-from-behind win…
- Our confidence is really high.
- We handle adversity well. There isn’t any flinch.
- Guys understand that they can come back, and they’ve done that multiple ways.
- It’s a very confident group.
- I know they’ll be excited for what’s coming up this week against another in-state opponent.
- We need to get healthy. That’s my concern right now. We’ve got a lot of guys beat up.
Person & Knight late in games chewing clock…