Kevin Keatts talked to the media after NC State’s win over Pitt. Here is the full audio and if you don’t have time for that, below is a quick-hitting recap of his statements.
- Proud of the young guys Cam, Shak and Bates all had career highs in assists.
- Got stops when we needed to.
- Played some zone. Credit to the guys because that defense was only put in yesterday.
- 2nd road win in a row and one we can build on.
- Knew Pitt would be physical but told the guys to stay out of the chippiness. Did that most of the game until Hellems got his technical.
- This was a toughness game. Who wanted it more?
- Less switching on defense because of Pitt’s sizes and mismatches.
- Wanted to have 12 or less TOs, but ended with 14. Had 19 assists though.
- Best Hayes, Moore and Seabron have played together all year. Young guys have fought so much adversity. Stepped up big in this one.
- Dereon Seabron had a death in his family and played with a heavy heart.
- Locked in on defense at the end. Knew we needed a stop and got one.
- Beverly is a savvy vet. He’s hurt. Doesn’t practice, just plays because of his injuries. May never practice for NC State again. But came in and got some shots up this morning. Knew it would be a good day for him.
- Hellems has been solid. DJ carried us and was great on the offensive boards.
- First time since Devon Daniels went out that we had 2 guards in double figures.
- Young guards are going to be good players. They are just having to learn on the job. Answered a lot of question tonight.
- Thomas Allen has a sprained ankle. Could miss more time, but not sure.
- Team is showing signs of growth. Guys completely learning on the job and getting better. Staying tough on them. Not going to give them a pass because they’re freshmen. Having to coach them as if they are upperclassmen. Trying to teach them and limit their mistakes.
- Team took big step forward. Didn’t play perfect but proud of how they played.
- Tough to win on the road and beat a good team. Happy to come out with a win.