Wolfpack Head Coach Dave Doeren met with the media for his postgame press conference after NC State defeated UCONN 41-10 tonight. You can watch it here, or check out what he had to say below.
- I’m proud of the guys. The core value was focus, and the guys were that.
- Came out excited to play…great start with a touchdown to Thayer to open the game.
- It’s good to see Devin get in a rhythm.
- We wanted to see guys make contact catches and it’s great to see Devin Carter play that way.
- The ball got spread around to numerous receivers and guys were catching the ball well.
- Great to have some guys score their 1st touchdowns: Porter Rooks and Keyon Lesane.
- Run game early was pretty good.
- When Demie went out we got some of the younger backs some good reps.
- Defensively we played well really until the end when we had a lot of the walk-on guys and freshman in the game getting reps.
- I was proud of them. There’s a lot of teams that don’t play the way they are supposed to in games like that. But we got better.
- Get ready to play 3 straight games against undefeated teams right now in Clemson, Florida State, and Syracuse.
- 2 of those are road games.
- We’re hitting on a lot of the cylinders that we wanted to. We’re in a good spot.
- There’s always things that can be better but all the things that I was disappointed about a week ago were corrected in this game.
- Demie [Sumo] is going to be fine.
- He was sore. We plan on him being back.
- If it was a different type of game we probably would have played him today.
- Jordan Houston will be good for next week.
- Tyler [Baker-Williams] is day-to-day and were hopeful to have him next week, but I just don’t know right now.
- Thought Michael Allen did some good things. You saw his speed…he can really run.
- Catches the ball well and caught some out of the backfield.
- It was good to get him out there and see how he would be under the lights.
- We’ve been practicing it [fake field goal] for 3 or 4 weeks.
- I thought it would be good to get on film for our opponents so we know we’re not just going to let people tee off.
- I thought Chris had a chance to get a 1st down on that play for it being 4th-and-4.
- Chris’ good. I don’t think he’s been tackled in a long time.
- It was good to get Collin Smith in there and get him an opportunity. Chris will be fine.
- I think it would be great if Gameday was there [at Clemson next Saturday].
- Obviously you have 2 undefeated teams.
- Clemson had a heck of a win today in double overtime. I watched that whole game. That was a heck of a football game.
- We’re going to play the longest home winning streak in the country down there. They’ve done a tremendous job. I’m looking forward to the week and everything that goes with it.
- It was awesome for Josh [Harris]. That was his 1st career sack.
- He was really excited afterwards. He’s still dancing in the locker room, I think.
- Davin Vann’s sack was a big play.
- It was too bad that we didn’t get the ball there, because it would’ve been a shutout probably if we had.
- I thought Clemson’s quarterback really played well today.
- That’s the best I’ve seen him play. He was accurate. His guys made plays for him. His O-line protected him. He wasn’t on the ground a lot.
- From an improvement standpoint from last year to this year, you can see that D.J. [Uiagelelei] is playing a lot better.
- Porter [Rooks] and Keyon [Lesane] have both played a lot here.
- For both of them to score tonight was great.
- They’re guys who just work hard and do the right thing.
- Both of them have worked through a rotation where they’re behind other players.
- Now they’re playing more and more. It was good for them to get rewarded and make the play.
NC State to Play Maryland in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl
#25 NC State (8-4) will face former ACC foe Maryland (7-5) in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl on December 30th. Kickoff will be at Noon, and the game will be televised on ESPN.
NC State vs. Maryland in Duke’s Mayo Bowl, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ
All my live updates ⬇️https://t.co/EwvaAbIvUY
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) December 4, 2022
This will mark the 71st time the Wolfpack and the Terrapins have faced one another, with the series split evenly 33-33-4 heading into the bowl game.
The Wolfpack have never played in the Mayo Bowl, but have played Bowl Games in Charlotte 3 times: Belk Bowl (2x – 2015 & 2011) and the Meineke Car Care Bowl (2005).
They have gone 2-1 in Bowl Games in Charlotte, defeating South Florida and Louisville, and losing to Mississippi State.
If NC State beats Maryland, Dave Doeren will have 4.5 gallons of Duke’s Mayo dumped on his head.
A Bowl Game in Charlotte should lead to a packed Bank of America Stadium, filled with Wolfpack fans dressed in Red.
NC State Right Outside of Week 15 Coaches Poll
NC State Offensive Coordinator Tim Beck Agrees to Become the Head Coach at Coastal Carolina
NC State Offensive Coordinator Tim Beck has agreed to become the next Head Football Coach at Coastal Carolina, agreeing to a 5-year deal worth nearly $1 million per year according to Pete Thamel of ESPN
Sources: NC State OC Tim Beck is finalizing a five-year deal to make him Coastal Carolina's next head coach. Beck is finalizing a five-year contract that will pay him nearly $1 million per year.
— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) December 4, 2022
— Chants. (@GoCCUsports) December 4, 2022
This is Beck’s first opportunity to be a head coach at the collegiate level.
Beck has been the Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at NC State since 2020. The last time Beck has been a head coach was at Mansfield Summitt High School in Texas, in 2004.
Since then he has been an Assistant Coach at Kansas, Nebraska, Ohio State, Texas, and obviously, NC State. Beck served as the Offensive Coordinator at Nebraska, Ohio State, Texas and NC State.
“I could not be more excited to be the Head Football Coach at Coastal Carolina University. The complete alignment between Dr. Benson, Joe Moglia, and Matt Hogue has helped establish a championship program that is a tremendous fit for me and my family,” said Coach Beck. “I fully embrace the expectations for how we will run this program each and every day. Coastal is a special place with special people. We are humbled and honored to become a part of the Chanticleer family and the Conway community.” (Link)
Beck has also served as the Quarterback’s Coach at NC State since 2020, and has done a tremendous job with the Wolfpack’s Quarterback room. After Devin Leary was injured in 2020, he helped Bailey Hockman lead the Pack to 5 wins. Last year, he helped Devin Leary have one of the best seasons by a Quarterback in ACC and NC State history. This year, he helped the Wolfpack win 8 games with 4 different starting Quarterbacks.
With the exodus of Beck, Dave Doeren has now sent two Offensive Coordinators off to be Head Football coaches. Eliah Drinkwitz left NC State to become the Head Coach at Appalachian State in 2018, and he is now the head coach at Missouri.
Congratulations Coach Beck! Couldn’t have have happened to a better guy!
NC State Moves Up 2 Spots to #23 in Final 2022 CFP Rankings
NC State moved up 2 spots in the Week 15 College Football Playoff Top-25 rankings, landing at #23 prior to the Bowl Games.
ACC Teams in the Week 15 CFP Top-25
7. Clemson (+2)
13. FSU (-1)
23. NC State (+2)
Under Doeren, NC State has finished ranked in the College Football Playoff Top-25 three times. The Wolfpack have finished the season ranked in CFP Top 25 4 times under Doeren, and this marks three consecutive seasons.