NC State Head Coach Dave Doeren met with the media for his postgame press conference tonight after NC State lost to Boston College 20-21. You can watch it here, or check out a BULLETED breakdown below.
- I don’t know really what to say. I’m pretty down for these kids.
- Obviously we didn’t play well enough to win. We didn’t coach well enough to win. I’ll always put that on me.
- Turning the ball over 3 times in the 2nd half changed the game in their favor.
- I hate it for these seniors. It’s a great group of young men. We didn’t get it done. Give Boston College some credit.
- At the same time, we had plays there.
- We got stuffed on 4th-and-1 on the goal line in the 1st half.
- I thought Drake [Thomas] made a fantastic play.
- I’m disappointed that a flag was thrown on a play like that. I thought it was a bang-bang play to win the game.
- I don’t know how you throw that flag. It’s a really disappointing call by that official.
- But there were other plays in the game that we could have made that it wouldn’t have come down to that, and we didn’t.
- Other calls we could have made. It’s going to be a tough night. We’ll get back together tomorrow and regroup and work hard to finish.
- We were 2 of 12 on 3rd down. I think that was the biggest thing.
- They were doing a good job in coverage.
- We had a hard time getting open. We tried to get open a couple of times down the field and gave up some sacks.
- Their defensive end [Donovan Ezeiruaka] beat us multiple times.
- If you turn the ball over 3 times and can’t convert on 3rd down, it’s hard to find a rhythm.
- We were in negative-yardage situations several times in the 2nd half.
- We did a poor job after those first 2 scores.
- They were doing a good job in coverage.
- It hurts [Grant Gibson’s injury late in the 1st half].
- Grant has played more football on this team than anybody on our roster.
- He’s a leader. He’s a 3-time captain.
- It hurt not having him in the middle. Dylan [McMahon] had to move inside. That’s obviously a key loss in the game.
- I just told him [MJ Morris] that he’s going to learn a lot from this film. He’s going to learn a ton watching it tomorrow.
- He’ll grow from it. He’ll be better as he moves forward.
- These kinds of mistakes are going to happen with a young quarterback.
- There were a lot of them, but not just on him. It wasn’t just things that he did.
- There’s things that could have been done to help him more.
- That’s a thing we’ve done really well the last 2 games. We helped him. We protected for him. We got open. We made plays.
- It just didn’t happen tonight. He’ll definitely learn from that experience. He’ll grow from it and be better because of it.
- They’re incredible people [this Senior class]. Incredible.
- I love every one of them. I’m thankful that they’ve been in my life. I’m blessed to be their coach.
- I hate that we didn’t get that win for them tonight.
- They’ve done a ton for NC State and this program.
- They’re going to have very successful lives because of the people that they are, not just the players. They are incredible people.
- Obviously their quarterback [Emmett Morehead] made some key plays with his legs and his arm.
- He gave his guys a chance to make plays.
- He gave them a chance to win. He did turn the football over a couple of times, but we didn’t get enough points out of the turnovers that we created.
- Obviously Zay Flowers was a difference maker.
- He had 130 yards and 2 touchdowns. We knew he was special.
NC State Baseball Rankings Update After Another Undefeated Week
The NC State Baseball team is now 7-0 through two weeks of play, going 4-0 last week, defeating Coastal Carolina 16-4 on the road in a midweek game, and sweeping Belmont at home this past weekend (11-4, 7-0, 7-1).
The Wolfpack remain ranked 21st in the D1Baseball Top-25.
The Wolfpack moved up 11 spots to #19 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll, up 2 spots to #20 in the Coaches Poll, and up 1 spot to #24 in the Baseball America poll.
NC State will host Longwood today at 3pm in their next matchup.
NC State Sticks at #21 After Opening Weekend Sweep
NC State’s Men’s Baseball team stayed put at #21 in the D1Baseball Top-25 after an opening weekend sweep of Wagner.
NC State also stayed put at #25 in the Baseball America’s new poll, and stayed put at #30 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll.
The Wolfpack will play Coastal Carolina on the road this Wednesday at
NC State Picked 3rd in the Atlantic in the 2023 ACC Baseball Preseason Poll
The 2023 ACC Preseason Poll was released yesterday, and NC State is projected to finish 3rd in the Atlantic.
NC State finished 5th in the Atlantic Division in 2022, with a 14-15 record in Conference play.
The Doak is getting its renovation…and NC State fans aren’t exactly loving it
I was just about to write a piece about the Doak renovation going down.
— NC State Athletics (@PackAthletics) January 25, 2023
But while I was over on Twitter, I saw a ton of comments on it, all of them NC State fans, and almost all of them critical of the new look.
Look, I don’t know what’s going on here. Maybe it’ll look a lot better once it’s done, or maybe the grass will match up a lot better when it greens up. But right now, it’s a little jarring. Here is how it used to look…
And here is how it’s looking right now…
— Allen (@BigalnRaleigh) January 19, 2023
Again, I’m going to wait until it’s really done before I cast judgement, but I think the official tweet from the school marketing it and drawing attention to it, has people thinking it’s in it’s final form. And maybe it is. But I hope it’s not.
I remember this being shared a while back…
This shows grass in foul territory and dirt in the 1st/3rd baselines. So I’m not sure when this turf thing came along. And while we’re on the subject, aren’t we a turf management school? Shouldn’t we be turning up our noses at artificial turf?
Apparently, this is a thing now, where foul territories are artificial turf and fair territory is grass. Here is Mississippi State’s baseball field doing the same thing.
— Mississippi State Baseball (@HailStateBB) February 15, 2019
Can’t say I like it there either, honestly. It just seems like one of those fads. Remember when everyone was going crazy with field/court colors?
School with a grey field and school with a glow in the dark basketball court meet on blue turf. Winning coach gets dumped with French fries. College athletics at its absolute best. https://t.co/crEKoeLKbX pic.twitter.com/Bpeod50Sy4
— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) December 4, 2022
— Jim Weber (@JimMWeber) November 10, 2021
The worst basketball court in the history of the sport. Thanks a lot, Oregon. pic.twitter.com/842T5CYmIc
— Craig Miller (@junior_miller) January 30, 2022
Did anyone ever really like those? Do people like them now? Have they ever gotten a recruit to come to the school? Have they ever scared a recruit away?
I don’t know. You tell me. I’ll hold final judgment, but things NC State fans don’t seem like they’re going to follow along.