RALEIGH, N.C. – After earning a win on Friday in the ACC opener, No. 10 NC State baseball split a doubleheader with Boston College Saturday afternoon to clinch the series. The Wolfpack won the first game of the twin bill, 13-7, before dropping an 11-3 decision in the nightcap.
NC State moves to 13-3 overall and 2-1 in ACC play, while Boston College improves to 6-8 and 1-2 in conference action.
Quick Hits Game One
– Boston College jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the contest, but Shane Shepard cut the lead to one with a two-run homer in the bottom of the second.
– After the Eagles tacked on a run in the top half of the third, the Wolfpack countered in the bottom of the frame with a pair of runs to even the score at 4-4 after an RBI single from Patrick Bailey and a throwing error by BC.
– NC State took its first lead of the game in the fourth following a leadoff double from Josh McLain and a single from Brett Kinneman to plate McLain.
– Brad Debo and Dillon Cooper each contributed RBI singles in the frame, as the Wolfpack scored four runs in the fourth to grab an 8-4 advantage.
– Boston College wouldn’t go away and trimmed the NC State lead to 8-6 with a pair of runs in the sixth.
– The Pack pushed across two runs in the seventh on a walk with the bases loaded and a hit-by-pitch to extend the tally to 10-6.
– Will Wilson doubled down the left field line and Debo singled up the middle to provide the Wolfpack’s final three runs of the contest.
Inside the Box Score
– Wilson led the Pack at the plate with a 4-for-5 performance with three runs scored and two RBI.
– Freshman J.T. Jarrett was 3-for-5 in the game and Debo was 3-for-6 with two RBI and two runs.
– Nick Swiney was credited with the win after tossing three innings of relief, striking out a pair of batters and did not allow an earned run.
– For the second consecutive game, sophomore Kent Klyman earned the save with two hitless innings of work with two strikeouts.
Quick Hits Game Two
– NC State had a tough start to the second game of the day, as Boston College scored a pair of runs in the first and pulled away a few innings later.
– Kinneman hit his NCAA-leading ninth home run in the bottom of the eighth, a solo blast to right field.
– Debo smacked his first homer of the 2018 season in the ninth, a two-run shot to left field.
– Wilson drew a walk in the fourth inning to extend his reached base safely streak to 31 games, dating back to last season.
NC State returns to action Tuesday afternoon when the Wolfpack hosts UNC Asheville at 3 p.m. at Doak Field at Dail Park.