StateFansNation.com has a nice little article about the changes to the ACC Tournament format. The new rules slipped by us and may have slipped by you this season. So thanks SFN for pointing this out before everyone starts going nuts and trying to figure out how the seeding works. Here is an excerpt:
The 15/16 team conference tournament format basically takes the concept of the LRI to the next level. (There’s an acronym that google won’t help you with.)
– On Wednesday, the bottom six teams play to determine who is going to move into 12 team format that the ACC has used for the last several years.
– On Thursday, seeds 5 thru 7 play the Wednesday winners along with the 8-9 game.
– Seeds 1-4 get byes to the first two rounds and play on Friday (just like the 12-team format). Semis on Saturday and finals on Sunday finish up the ACCT a couple of hours before the Sunday evening NCAAT Selection Show on CBS.
The ACC/BE tournament format is not one that I would have chosen, but I’m finding it hard to get too worked up about it.
– This format does reward teams for finishing in the first four slots, but is that really needed?
– The format isn’t really fair to the bottom six teams, but does it really matter? How far do you expect the bottom third+ of the conference to go anyway?
– The 64+ team NCAAT has essentially killed the drama from the old ACCT. The ACCT basically just boils down to the last chance for the bubble teams to get a big upset or someone looking for a #1 seed in the NCAAT. (You can be sure that Boeheim cares about the ACCT this year because he never wanted to move to the ACC and he’ll want to make a point.)
Bottom line…it is what it is. We can’t change it and it doesn’t totally suck. The biggest “issue” is going to come when teams tie for the 4th and 9th seeds….especially if the loser of the tie-breaker actually played a tougher conference schedule. But once again, it is what it is and I’m content with letting the print media or someone here break down the tie-breaker rules and various possibilities as the regular season comes to a close.
The more interesting analysis is what does the new format mean for the bubble teams?
NC State’s Men’s Basketball Team is Having One of it’s Best Runs in the ACC Ever
Heading into tonight’s Top-25 matchup between #22 NC State and #8 UVA, the Wolfpack are in the midst of one of their best runs in ACC play since the conference was formed in 1953.
The Wolfpack are 9-4 in the ACC, but they have won 8 of their last 9 conference games.
The last time NC State went on a run like this in ACC Regular Season games was during the 1972-73 and 73-74 seasons, when the Wolfpack went 12-0 in ACC play.
12-0 (1972 & 73-74)
12 of 13 (1958-59)
8 of 9 (2022-23, 1961-61, 1954-55)
7 of 8 (1974-75, 1969-70, 1964-65, 1955-56)
6 of 7 (2005-06, 1979-80, 1960-61, 1957-58)
#22 NC State is a 7.5-Point Underdog at #8 UVA Tonight
#22 NC State is a 7.5-point underdog at #8 Virginia tonight at 9pm, and the Total is sitting at 137.
- NC State is 19-5 Straight Up.
- They are 11-11-2 Against the Spread.
- UVA is 17-4 Straight Up.
- They are 8-12-1 Against the Spread.
- The Total has gone Over in 13 of NC State’s 24 games.
- The Total has gone Over in 12 of UVA’s 22 games
- UVA is 15-2 as the Favorite.
- NC State is 4-4 as the Underdog.
- NC State is 4-1-1 in their last 6 games against UVA Against the Spread.
- The Total has gone Over in 5 of NC State’s last 7 games.
- The Total has gone Over in 4 of UVA’s last 5 games.
- The Total has gone Under in 5 of the last 6 games between these two in Charlottesville.
- NC State has won two in a row, and 3 of the last 4 against UVA.
- Kevin Keatts is 3-4 against UVA. He is 2-2 at UVA.
NC State vs. UVA
NC State is the ONLY Team in the Triangle Ranked for the 1st Time in 40 Years
NC State’s Men’s Basketball team is back in the AP Top 25 for the first time in 4 years, landing at #22 in the Week 14 AP Poll.
NC State is ranked. Duke and UNC are not. Last time that was the case? December 27th, 1982. Over 40 years ago. It’s only the 6th time in 67 years that this has happened.
Wolfpack was 17th that week. UNC was unranked in two polls all year, Dec. 20 and Dec. 27. Duke was not ranked that season (Dawkins, Alarie, Bilis, Henderson were freshmen).
Other *cough* ACC teams on Dec. 27: Virginia (4), Louisville (13), Syracuse (14).
— Luke DeCock (@LukeDeCock) February 6, 2023
Before that: The preseason poll in 1973, the final poll in 1970 and Dec. 5, 1955. So this is the sixth time in 67 years.
Happened pretty often between 1952-55. NC State was ranked during the entire 1950-51 season while neither Duke nor UNC was.
— Luke DeCock (@LukeDeCock) February 6, 2023
Anyone remember what happened that 1982-83 basketball season?
NC State won the National Championship.
NC State Breaks Into the AP Poll, Landing at #22
NC State is off to it’s best start in almost 2 decades, and they now finally have a number beside their name, landing at #22 in the Week 14 AP Poll.
— NC State Men's Bball (@PackMensBball) February 6, 2023
This is the first time that NC State has been ranked in the AP Poll since January 28th, 2019, when they were ranked 23rd.
ACC Teams in the Week 14 AP Poll
22. NC State