Connect with us

Report via GoPack.com
Trevor Lacey, an All-ACC performer for NC State this season, has announced his intentions to declare for the NBA Draft.

“I would like to thank the coaching staff, university and fans for a wonderful experience the last two years at NC State, but I’d like to declare for the NBA Draft,” Lacey said. “I had a great group of teammates the last two years and they’ll always be like brothers to me. This has been the toughest decision of my life but I feel like pursuing this new journey in my basketball career is what is best for me.”

Lacey, a 6-3 guard from Huntsville, Ala., was one of the ACC’s best guards during his first season at NC State. The fourth-year junior averaged 15.7 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.5 assists for a Wolfpack squad that won 22 games and advanced to the Sweet 16. He was also among the ACC leaders in 3-point percentage (.392), 3-pointers made (2.23), assist-turnover ratio (1.81) and minutes played (35.89).

For his efforts, Lacey collected a long line of accolades. He was voted second team All-ACC by the media and third team by the ACC’s coaches, was an NABC All-District selection and a finalist for the Jerry West and Riley Wallace awards.

Stay tuned as we’ll have our breakdown of all of this news coming up…

64 Comments
Notify of
64 Comments
newest
oldest most Upvoted
Inline Feedbacks
8 years ago

wolfpack74 Wolfer96 I’m glad you mentioned that about the injuries and whatnot because that’s what a lot of people don’t get. You have to be extremely lucky to go an entire season without someone tearing an ACL/MCL, a high ankle sprain, pulling a groin muscle, getting suspended, etc.  Which is why I was so freaking frustrated this season with the up and down play. This team avoided all of the pitfalls of a college BB season, had a really deep bench, had every position covered and still had to play their way into the tourney late. What will they do next… Read more »

8 years ago

Wolfer96 wolfpack74 I’m hoping that the staff didn’t have the same opinion as Packman70, where 9 was enough.  I think it’s time to sit back and enjoy a beer while watch baseball.  If Gott is good a recruiter as most people on this forum think, then he will provide enough players to put us back on the bubble.  Last year we were relatively lucky with injuries and sickness.  With seven or eight scholarship players. we will need the same luck again.

8 years ago

wolfpack74 Wolfer96 Suliamon… that would be funny if we got him. I think if you get kicked off of a team they can’t restrict your transfer right? Either that or he graduates as stated. The troubles aside, I think he could be a real asset. Tyler Harris is transferring again? Jeez. That’s an interesting list of players and many who are eligible right away. I feel like the coaching staff kinda just took a break from recruiting this season. A few months ago I checked the top 100 and I swear I don’t recall seeing one kid who listed the Wolfpack.… Read more »

8 years ago

Wolfer96 Everything is going to be okay.  Gott is going to bring in a midget from UNC/Asheville to solve all our problems .

Someone tell Gott to go to http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/insider/post/_/id/4899/top-10-transfers-and-complete-transfer-list

I didn’t see NCState listed besides anyone of these transfers.

We should get Suliamon for one year to spit Coach K.  He can handle, dish, and shot.

8 years ago

What’s really concerning about Lacey’s departure is that we struggled often against the press this season with both Cat and Lacey on the court. What happens when Cat is the only ball handler on the court? Teams are going to press us like mad.

I wonder how good Henderson’s ball handling skills are? Hopefully the twins can work on their handles over the break.

8 years ago

wolfpack74 Wolfer96 joflo71 You definitely have to go after some big names. What would we have done over the years without the David Thompson’s, Rodney Monroe’s, Julius Hodge’s, and TJ Warren’s?  But you’re right, we’re not in a place yet where we can load up on top 50 talent each season. That means for every Warren, we need a Freeman. For every Hodge, we need an Atsur.  I just hope there is still time to find one additional back court player before next season. I want to believe in Anya if only based on his weight loss from year 1 to year… Read more »

8 years ago

Wolfer96 wolfpack74 joflo71 I agree about the constant flow of underclassmen.  Why has Gott gone after the elite this and next year.  State will not get those kids.  We lost the entire Warren recruiting year and so far we have wasted this year.  I know this year is not over yet , maybe we can grab someone to help.   We should concentrate on the 40 to 70 position kids that might stay three or four years?  West Virginia ( and I would say VCU) with their team full of three stars kick the crap out of us this year.  It’s so… Read more »

8 years ago

wolfpack74 Wolfer96 joflo71 Arizona recruits almost at the level of kentucky. They never have a shortage of top recruits. I would imagine that vcu and wvu recruit at a level below NCSU? There are different ways to approach recruiting. You can try to go for the top kids which everybody wants or you can grab an occasional top recruit plus mainly 3 star types that stay for 4 years. I imagine a lot of mid majors succeed by building a team for the long haul. But that also means they have to have a constant flow of soph and juniors to replace… Read more »

8 years ago

Wolfer96 wolfpack74 joflo71 These kids that are not five stars need to take a look at the 2016 mock draft.  The first round is primarily the top freshmen class of 2015.  Not many other guys get any attention unless their teams do extremely well in the NCAA tournament.  For example the two kids from Wisconsin are projected in the first round for 2015.  At least one of them was only a three star out of high school.  Most three and four star players should get a good education and stay in school.  Most won’t be drafted in the NBA.  Whom ever is… Read more »

8 years ago

wolfpack74 Wolfer96 joflo71 Yeah the scoring will be hard to replace. I say Anya’s foul troubles could be offset by additional weight loss. The lighter he is on his feet the less fouls he commits is my theory.

Gott’s definitely had his share of early exits and transfers but that seems to be the theme at a lot of schools now. Every kid thinks they can make the nba and no one wants to wait for minutes. It’s the times we live in. The coaches just need to do whatever they can to reload every year.

wormncsu
wormncsu
8 years ago

Let’s just hope that the trend will continue that the transfers Gottfried gets ending being way better than the ones who transfer out.

8 years ago

Wolfer96 wolfpack74 joflo71 The number of players look bad as well as 60% of our points are gone. Anya always gets in foul trouble.  The new recruits out there are going to start looking at all the defects from Gotts program.

Something else is strange.  We haven’t heard from packman70 today.  He was always on my case about recruiting.  Well we sure need some now don’t we?

8 years ago

wolfpack74 Wolfer96 Wow I hope that’s just a rumor.

8 years ago

wolfpack74 joflo71 Wolfer96 I think 3 front court players (Abu, Anya, Freeman) are enough but we are now down to 1 PG and 1 SG with 2 wings (twins). If we don’t pickup another guard from somewhere little Corch will get minutes whether he’s ready or not. I would feel comfortable with 8 scholarship players. 7 is pushing it. Foul trouble will definitely test this team at 7 players.

8 years ago

We only have seven scholarship players now that are not walk ons.  We have just another to scrimmage each other.  Let me reiterate what Wolfer96 has said:

Scholarships, we got  scholarships

8 years ago

Wolfer96 He may be the last player left after this week.  I hear Cat is thinking about trying the NBA as well.

8 years ago

joflo71 Wolfer96 Bring back Sendek.  At least I didn’t have to learn the name of the players all over each year, like the Gott years.

8 years ago

joflo71 Wolfer96 We did have an embarrassment of riches in terms of depth this season. One that I have not seen in 25 years. Someone(s) was going to lose minutes. At mid-season that happened to be Kyle.

I’m sad that we lose Kyle but it may be necessary just to dole out enough minutes to our front court players which we still have 3 remaining.

8 years ago

joflo71 wolfpack74 Either way he would be young for the BYU team.  They had a couple of players at 26.

joflo71
joflo71
8 years ago

Wolfer96 Why can the coach keep these guys from transferring???

joflo71
joflo71

wolfpack74 joflo71 ok

8 years ago

Well Kyle Washington transfer seems official according to twitter.

8 years ago

joflo71 For the record he was born on October 13, 1991.  He will be 24 this year.

joflo71
joflo71
8 years ago

I think its a good decision,a lot of you forgot he will be 25yrs old this year. He would be an old college player. He have a good jump shot. I wish him well in the NBA. GO WOLFPACK!!!!!!!!!!!

8 years ago

wormncsu We all have been lead to believe it is his age that is having the biggest influence on his decision.  He is no way ready for the NBA.  Most of the NBA draft experts do not expect him to be drafted.  I would guess that he could make money in Europe somewhere.  It’s a pity.  College basketball needs to adopt the rules they use for baseball and football (three years removed from high school).

8 years ago

wormncsu It’s hard to say. I know he works out with these kids. Correct me if I’,m wrong but didn’t he make the same statements about TJ and Purvis coming to State before they officially commited?

wormncsu
wormncsu
8 years ago

As for the Hodge tweet I would not read much into that. He makes crazy statements about us getting recruits often. I don’t think he knows as much about the inner workings of state basketball as he would like us to believe. Love the guy and he was a great one but just saying.

Time for little Corch to shine 🙂

wormncsu
wormncsu
8 years ago

Lacey should look at cj, Lorenzo, and even tj left early and where are they now. Even tj barely sees playing time and has spent most of his time in the d league. I see d league or Europe in his future. Who ever gets in these guys ears and says oh yea you are ready needs to think again.

8 years ago

wolfpack74 Wolfer96 I wish the coach scheduled better but I am excited to see this FB team build on last season’s success. That unc beatdown was classic.

8 years ago

Wolfer96 wolfpack74 Can’t wait for football.

8 years ago

gdtann wolfpack74 ThatWiggaJigga That’s why I asked on another article if Lacey had a family.  Someone said no, so I thought he might stay.  Seems I thought wrong.

8 years ago

wolfpack74 Wolfer96 What can you do in this situation? Either cry about it or laugh about it.

8 years ago

Wolfer96 More comic relief?

gdtann
gdtann

wolfpack74 gdtann ThatWiggaJigga yes he has one child

8 years ago

Shouting… “we got scholarships, we got scholarships here”

8 years ago

gdtann wolfpack74 ThatWiggaJigga Does he have kids?

DanielHargreaves
DanielHargreaves
8 years ago

wolfpack74 DanielHargreaves I don’t consider NCAAT bid as falling apart. Especially after Lowe era.

gdtann
gdtann
8 years ago

wolfpack74 ThatWiggaJigga gdtann At this point, why not.  He has mouths to feed.

gdtann
gdtann
8 years ago

ThatWiggaJigga gdtann wolfpack74 So explain to me how does UNC manage to keep important guys like Paige or JMM from going pro too early.  They don’t care about losing Tokoto.  PJ only left early cause of his incident.  Nope, when UNC needs players to stay, they stay.  Often it can hurt the player’s draft stock.  Roy keeps his guys and builds, thats how you win.  At State we always seem to have players leave a year too early.  I’m not mad at them for leaving, it just is what it is and part of the coaches job is to keep the team… Read more »

8 years ago

ThatWiggaJigga gdtann wolfpack74 With that logic, Cat Barbert should declare as well.  He showed a lot of improvement the latter part of the year.

ThatWiggaJigga
ThatWiggaJigga
8 years ago

gdtann ThatWiggaJigga wolfpack74 Lacey Declaring for the draft is not a knock on Gottfried.  As a coach, first and foremost you respect the kids decision, you can give him all the advice you want but he has to back what the player feels is best for him.  This could be a case of needing the money earlier rather than next year.  Maybe he knows he won’t increase his stock too too much next year, so who can blame him for taking the money as soon as he can get it.  This is these guys livelyhoods here.

8 years ago

Wolfer96 Henderson will have to make up for both Lacey and Turner in terms of scoring.

8 years ago

wolfpack74 hard to say exactly what he means but I hope it means we’re landing some unsigned recruits. I know this year broke some record for the highest number of top 100 late signees.

8 years ago

*whispering* “2015 unsigned top recruits” like seeing a program putting guys in the NBA. I’m telling you something strong. be cool 😉

What does this Julius Hodge tweet mean?

wolfpack74 Wolfer96 ha

8 years ago

Wolfer96 Back to the bottom half of the ACC.

8 years ago

Wolfer96 Maybe Wallace will reconsider.  Just joking.  Comic relief and such.

8 years ago

The rumors about Kyle transferring have been floating around for a while so that’s not a huge surprise but I really thought Lacey would be back for his senior year.

8 years ago

DanielHargreaves I don’t agree with his decision but you’re right he’s a grown man and he’s made his decision. Lacey truly was a special player in the 1 season that he played for the Pack.

NC State Basketball

NC State NET Rankings Report After Syracuse Loss

Published

on

NC State lost to Syracuse 83-87 last night, and as a result, the Wolfpack fell 5 spots in the NET Rankings to #80. The Orange moved up 6 spots to #84.

(NCAA)

NC State is now 9th in the ACC in the NET rankings.

For a refresher on how the NET Rankings are calculated:

Using the quadrant system, which was in its fourth season in 2020-21, the quality of wins and losses will be organized based on game location and the opponent’s NET ranking.

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
The number of Quadrant 1 wins and Quadrant 3/4 losses will be incredibly important when it comes time for NCAA tournament selection and seeding. (NCAA)

Continue Reading

NC State Basketball

Thoughts on NC State’s 83-87 Loss to Syracuse

Published

on

NC State’s (16-10/8-7) 83-87 loss to Syracuse this evening might have been the nail-in-the-coffin when it comes to the Wolfpack’s NCAA Tournament aspirations. They were barely on the bubble as it was, but this game and the next two games against Boston College and Florida State were “must wins.” On top of that, the Wolfpack probably needed to beat Pitt in the regular season finale, and beat either Duke or UNC.

With this loss, NC State will need a miracle. They will need to win the rest of their regular season games, which concludes with 3 consecutive Quad 1 games.

In regards to this evenings game, it’s hard to beat a team when you allow them to shoot 61.3% in the first half, and allow a guy who averages 11.3 points per game (Chris Bell) to sink 8 of 9 three’s at the halfway mark. Sure, you could make the excuse that they were just hitting everything they threw up, but the defense was lackluster, and they failed to adjust to a player with a hot hand.

What I’m about to say isn’t meant to describe a moral victory for NC State. With that being said, this team didn’t give up, and clawed back from a 15-point halftime deficit (16-point at one point in the 2nd half), to take a 1-point lead with 3:15 left in the game. That was the first time the Wolfpack had led since it was 2-0.

Senior DJ Horne was sensational once again, scoring 25+ points for the 5th straight game, matching what Cat Barber did back in 2015-16. Horne finished with 32 points, hitting 11 of his 20 field goal attempts, and an insane 6 of 8 from three.

Could you argue that Horne was fouled on the last play? I guess, but I wouldn’t have called it.

Three other Wolfpack players scored in double figures: Ben Middlebrooks (12), DJ Burns (12) and Jayden Taylor (10). Honestly, they all shot well. Middlebrooks had a double-double, with 10 rebounds.

Mohamed Diarra was solid with 7 points (3-6) and 8 boards.

Syracuse came back to reality in the second half, and ended up shooting 51% from the field, but the Wolfpack shot 47%. Both teams shot well. In fact, NC State actually scored more points off of turnovers, had more second chance points and had more free throws.

You simply can’t put yourself in a position to dig yourself out of a 16-point deficit. You can’t allow a guy to make 8 of 9 three’s in the opening half, with 6 of them being practically uncontested.

The Wolfpack have lost 3 of the last 4, and all 3 losses have been by 4 points or less. I wouldn’t say the Pack lost any of those three games due to a lack of effort. Rather, I would say it was primarily due to inconsistency, a lack of discipline and poor decisions in timely moments (Jayden Taylor’s TO with 1:13 left with the game tied).

With Wake Forest beating Pitt tonight, a Wolfpack win would have put them in 4th place in the ACC.

A big missed opportunity for the Pack this evening.

Continue Reading

NC State Basketball

NC State 83 Syracuse 87: BOX SCORE

Published

on

NC State has now lost 7 straight to Syracuse, falling to the Orange 83-87 in PNC Arena this evening. Below is the Box Score.

Continue Reading

NC State Basketball

DJ Horne is Looking to Continue His Streak of 20+ Points or More

Published

on

NC State is trying to stop a 6-game losing streak to Syracuse tonight, but Senior Wolfpack Guard DJ Horne is trying to continue a streak.

Currently, Horne has scored 20+ points in 5 straight games, which is tied with what Terquavion Smith did last year. If Horne scores 20+ points tonight, his 6-game streak will be the longest since 2015-16, when Cat Barber strung together 7 straight games of 20+ points.

Horne also has scored 25+ points in 4 straight games. If he does so again tonight, he will be the first player to do so since Barber did so in 2015-16, when he scored 25+ in 5-straight games.

What Horne has done in his coming home campaign has been nothing short of remarkable. He is shooting 43.4% from three, which ranks 2nd in the ACC. In his last 18 games, Horne is shooting 46.6% from deep. In ACC play, Horne is averaging 19.3 points per game, which ranks 2nd in the conference.

Here’s what Horne’s numbers look like over his 5-game streak of 20+ points: 26.6 points/51.8 FG%/48.8 3PT%.

Continue Reading