NC State head coach Dave Doeren spoke with the media after practice today before the Wolfpack’s rivalry game versus UNC on Saturday. The video is ABOVE, and a bulleted breakdown is BELOW.
- (Today) They don’t have class, so we backed everything up an hour to get a little more sleep for them. They eat here for lunch and dinner. Tomorrow after practice, non-travel guys can go home until Sunday. Everyone else goes to Angus Barn. Big meal with coaches, wives, kids and players. Then we’re back into a normal Friday.
- (On the UNC Rivalry) Having been a part of the USC-UCLA rivalry, I kind of had been a part of something similar where you have two universities in the same city limits, basically. So I anticipated it being like that, and my first press conference here several people came up and welcomed me in and many of them mentioned “Beat Carolina”. It kind of cemented what I thought it would be, and then as you live here and you start to see how integrated the alumni base is, where you run into theirs and they run into ours everyday. It’s different.
- (On beating UNC effecting recruiting) It can. I think it’s selective. I think there’s some players that are between us and them…these games can matter…sometimes they don’t. Sometimes there’s other factors that matter more than the outcome of a game…most cases that’s true. They’re putting a lot of their attention on the things that matter to them and their family and if it’s a tie going into it, maybe that swings it, I don’t know.
- It’s a state where there’s a lot of pride with our alumni base and obviously they have the same with theirs. So to own a rivalry for that year is nice. It’s nice to have that.
- Our linebackers have been very productive. Obviously, Germaine is in the top five in the league in tackles. He’s made a lot of plays for our defense this year. Isaiah (Moore) and Louis (Acceus) compliment each other and both had outstanding games. Isaiah played his best game last week. Brock (Miller) is getting better and better each week…taken a ton of reps. They have been fun to watch. Calvin Hart is young, has gotten a lot of reps, and is going to be a really good player here.
- (On favorite Thanksgiving food) The green bean casserole with the old French onion deals on top of it. I love that. I’m a dark Turkey guy. Put some gravy on there and some sweet potatoes, and I’m a happy dog.
Clemson 81 NC State 70: OUR TAKE
NC State Head Coach Kevin Keatts said that his team didn’t “play great” against Clemson this afternoon, in their 81-70 loss to the Tigers.
That was an understatement.
Sometimes I wish a coach would come out and say the truth
The Wolfpack played terrible down in South Carolina.
Clemson outshot NC State in every category.
Clemson – 46.9/32.1/83.9
NC State – 44.1/23.8/68.4
The Tigers out rebounded the Wolfpack by 4. They had more second chance points (+2) and more points off turnovers (+6).
Clemson shot 12 more free throws.
They shared the ball better, netting 5 more assists.
The stats weren’t in their favor to walk away with the victory, but maybe what was most disappointing was the overall lack of effort.
Senior Markell Johnson still hasn’t figured out how to play consistent basketball, in production or effort, and we are half way through year 4.
The coaches ability to adjust has to be called into question after today’s performance. Clemson abused the Wolfpack with backdoor cuts and slipping screens for 40 straight minutes. Also, I’m all for aggressive defense, but failing to put the hand in the face of wide open three-point shooters is inexcusable.
NC State was without Redshirt Senior Guard C.J. Bryce, who leads the team in scoring and rebounding. Obviously, his presence was missed, and the game could have been different with him on the court.
This loss doesn’t ruin a season, and obviously the team can rebound from it, but the deja vu of losses like these become exhausting.
Clemson 81 NC State 70: ACCDN HIGHLIGHT REEL & CONDENSED GAME
NC State fell to 10-4 today, losing to Clemson 81-70 on the road. The ACC Digital Network’s Highlight Reel and Condensed Game is below.
Clemson 81 NC State 70: BOX SCORE
NC State is a 2-Point Favorite at Clemson
NC State Men’s Basketball team will hit the road today, playing at Clemson today at Noon, and the Wolfpack will hit the court as 2-point favorites. The Total is currently 136.5.
The Wolfpack is 7-5-1 Against the Spread on the year, and Clemson is 7-6. NC State is 10-2 as the favorite, and Clemson is 1-3 as the Underdog. The Wolfpack are 3-0 Against the Spread on the road, and the Tigers are 5-4 Against the Spread at home.
For both teams, the Total has gone Under in 7 of their 13 games.
- North Carolina State are 4-1-1 Against The Spread in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of North Carolina State’s last 6 games.
- North Carolina State are 7-0 Against The Spread in their last 7 games on the road.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of North Carolina State’s last 7 games against an opponent in the Atlantic Coast conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of North Carolina State’s last 5 games played in January.
- Clemson are 1-5 Against The Spread in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Clemson’s last 5 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Clemson’s last 6 games against North Carolina State.
- Clemson are 1-4 Against The Spread in their last 5 games this season.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Clemson’s last 6 games against an opponent in the Atlantic Coast conference.
- Clemson are 5-1 Against The Spread in their last 6 games played on a Saturday. (OddShark)