Connect with us

NC State Basketball

NC State adds Butler CG Jayden Taylor in Transfer Portal

Published

on

After a Damian Dunn (Temple SG) chose Houston last week, NC State keyed in on a few other 2 guards, one of which was Jayden Taylor from Butler, who just committed today.

Taylor is a 6’4, 195lb shooting guard who is really versatile and while he might not have the 3 point range that Terquavion Smith had, he still can knock it down from out there and is a lot more selective with his shots from beyond the arc.

Taylor averaged 12 points and 4 rebounds last season, shooting 40% from the floor and 32.6% from deep. He shot 331 shots last season and 138 of those were 3s. He’ll likely be slotting in as a starter in place of Smith who averaged 18 and 4 last year. However, Smith shot 38% from the floor and 33.6% from long range. They are pretty close percentage wise, however Smith shot 547 shots last season and 271 of those were 3s.

For those Pack fans who were frustrated at the volume of shots Smith was taking last year, they’ll like the style of Taylor a little more. He’s not a volume scorer, but he is a very versatile player. He plays physical and likes to attack off the drive, but can get hot from downtown as well.

He’s got a good handle and is a smart basketball player. In fact, many anyalysts believe we haven’t even seen the best of Taylor yet.

Here is Jake Weingarten from Stockrisers.

Taylor will be competing for minutes with Trey Parker, the 2 guard freshman phenom who likely will get a good share of minutes this seaosn as well.

40 Comments
Notify of
40 Comments
newest
oldest most Upvoted
Inline Feedbacks
1 year ago

DJ Horne signed – grad out of ASU – 6’1″ 175.His stat line last season compares very favorably with Jarkel’s last season at Ole Miss. Same size as Joiner. Lower overall FG% on the same number of shots, a little higher 3PT% and took more 3PT shots per game, a little better rebounder, and about the same in assists. TO are exactly the same.

Reply to  Papajohn

Reading up on DJ Horne’s senior season a little more. Looks pretty good.
14 games 4+ reb
13 games 3+ assists
10 games 2+ steals
4 games 20+ points
34 points career high

Reply to  Papajohn

Horne seems like a solid addition and now we have a pretty full contingent of guards with a range of experience and a variety of sizes. A few more assists on his stat line would be nice, but otherwise I’m very excited.

Bigs situation remains cloudy.

1 year ago

Saw this posted online. This is one solution we have been hearing rumored for Dusan.

“NCAA NIL loophole being used by some college basketball programs, turn scholarship kids into walkons and then give those players NIL money to make up for lack of scholarship.”

Reply to  Papajohn

So does that really mean a player could play 8 or 10 years of college ball? I mean Dusan is a good example since he has missed two season due to injuries and his medical cost alone could run $100k. Maybe what you say is not so different . Seemed like Wojo and Spanarkle both played about six years.

Reply to  Rev

I think even walk ons are limited to 4 years of play (plus 1 covid year for some).

Reply to  Rev

I think what you are asking is, does the player have his ‘5 to play 4’ scholarship and then the option to hang around and play more if we pay NIL money? I don’t know the rulebook that well, but I think we would have seen that happen if it were allowed and players wanted it, and I don’t think we have despite all of our jokes about opposing players being around a long time. And I’m not sure it would appeal to many players. So I suspect your real question is (and all of us want to know), could… Read more »

Reply to  Papajohn

I don’t think there is anything that relegates a ‘walk on’ to not starting or to be a scout team only team member. Traditionally walk ons are not talented enough to earn scholarship positions and therefore don’t normally play, but the world is changing before our eyes.

1 year ago

The college basketball ‘calendar’ has stretched out a bit. As KK has said, it never really ends anymore. I was curious, so looked up some dates. They shift slightly every year, but this is generally what the calendar looks like. Sep 9 – Nov 6: Recruiting window Oct 15: Basketball practice official start Nov 7 – Apr 3: Basketball season Nov 9 – Nov 16: Early signing period (HS) Nov 11 – Mar 29: Recruiting window Mar 13 – May 11: Transfer notification window Apr 12 – 17: Regular signing period (HS) Apr 21 – 27: Recruiting May-June (ish): NBA… Read more »

Good info. Thanks.
To me the biggest thing at the moment is transfer notification window not ending till May 11. Lots of sheet can happen between now and then.

1 year ago

I see Cam Hayes has jumped back into the portal.

Reply to  Dof87

Wow! That pretty much confirms my opinion about his decision to leave State.

Afterglow
Afterglow
Reply to  Rev

It kind of sucks for someone like Cam. The portal probably gives the false impression that just because you can and it’s easy, means you should and you’ll get more playing time. I suppose that may be the case for some players. Unless of course you just decide that you were playing out of your league and went to a different division.

Reply to  Afterglow

I wonder how much it could be about NIL money. If you don’t see your NBA prospects as being very good, then why not stretch out college as long as possible and get as much NIL bucks as you can, even if that means a transfer and sitting out another year. Life as a serviceable college basketball player today is pretty darn good, better than it has ever been. On the other side, seeing teammates getting big NIL bucks while you are not getting similar could breed some resentment amongst teammates. And getting big NIL bucks to play could bring… Read more »

Last edited 1 year ago by Dof87
Reply to  Dof87

I never thought he’d be one of those guys that hops around. Of course, I expected him to be the second coming of Markel, so what do I know? They say the second transfer is not going to be automatic that you get immediate eligibility.

1 year ago

My memory is almost as good as my predictions. But I remember when Rice was a four maybe even five star prospect and a lock for State. He ended up going to one of those California not quite professional high schools didn’t he? Wasn’t he the one who also had personal/family issues? I really don’t want anyone with issues like Ian Steere and his dad. That $#it is bad for team chemistry.

Afterglow
Afterglow
Reply to  Rev

I don’t remember Rice at all but that doesn’t mean anything. Maybe things have changed.

Reply to  Rev

Rice may have some question marks, but as I”ve observed that during the season every kid actually showing up for KK has given it his all and has been a solid teammate even when things aren’t going well. I don’t expect any difference with future recruits or transfers.

1 year ago

MJ Rice just announced he will visit this weekend. He’s scheduling other visits as well, including Pitt, but it sounds like we are first. He’s from Durham. Played one year at Kansas but struggled with a back problem all season.
5 star player, McDonald’s AA, 6’5″ 215, considered going to the G league out of HS. He is a SG, so he would have to play the 4 – he may not like that idea. We may not be a good fit, but he’d be an incredible pick up.

Last edited 1 year ago by Papajohn
wolfpack74
wolfpack74
Reply to  Papajohn

Rice would be nice. No pun intended.

Afterglow
Afterglow
Reply to  wolfpack74

Per one source, El Ellis is MJ Rice’ friend.

Reply to  Afterglow

I heard that too, I can’t decide if that is good, bad or neither one, since neither has committed.
DJ Horne is visiting first and if he signs, we no longer want Ellis. Both are PG with one year remaining eligibility. I think Ellis is going through the NBA feedback process so it may be a while before he decides. My guess is, we won’t wait unless we have no choice.
Unless Rice wants to play forward in a 4 guard offense this season, I suspect he’ll look elsewhere so he can play the 2 or 3.

Last edited 1 year ago by Papajohn
Afterglow
Afterglow
Reply to  Papajohn

Yep. Unless MJ Rice commits, it means little. Even still, not sure how much it would even in El Ellis is his friend.

1 year ago

Adding to Papajohn … Miranda IS special. He was ranked in the top 30 of the 2023 class but of course his ranking fell after reclassifying and signing with the Pack 🤨. This kid will see plenty of playing time. On another note, Ben Middlebrooks would be great addition to a team desperate for a replacement for Dusan. I think he would definitely be an upgrade to Ebe. With his connection to Kareem Richardson the Rev prediction is 70% to NCSU. BTW the Rev is correct almost 2% of the time

Reply to  Rev

“almost” 2% of the time. 😂

Afterglow
Afterglow
Reply to  Papajohn

And there’s only a 10% chance of that.

wolfpack74
wolfpack74
Reply to  Rev

Don’t go to Vegas this weekend.

1 year ago

Interesting to throw into the mix. If you read what many are saying online, both Parkers will be serious contributors next season. ‘Hard to keep on the bench’ people are saying, and it has been suggested that Trey might break into the starting lineup in the same way Terquavion did. A scorer. . Add to that, Miranda is special. He will play. I watched him in warmups every home game since he arrived at Christmas, and he’s going to be something. He considered going directly to the NBA. At 7’1″, a heck of an athlete. He has good hands, quickness,… Read more »

Last edited 1 year ago by Papajohn
wolfpack74
wolfpack74
1 year ago

MUSTAPHA AMZIL from Dayton, why not?

1 year ago

Taylor will play the SG, his stats don’t indicate he’s much of a passer. However, just for grins, I just did a comparison of he and Joiner’s last seasons at their respective former schools (Ole Miss & Butler), and the numbers are very similar. Both leading scorers on P6 teams. (remember the Big East had Creighton and UConn this season) The biggest differences between the two being Taylor is 3 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier, and Joiner was a 4 year player. But with two years more years experience, Taylor could be the better player. That bodes well for… Read more »

Reply to  Papajohn

Seems like a good fit for KK’s style, of course we need to see the rest of the pieces of the puzzle come together. I think its interesting that a teammate of Bates decides to come the NC State, its a sign the Bates isn’t out badmouthing the program or KK, and maybe even speaking highly of it. It seems these days you want to be a portal kids’ first visit and hopefully hook him before he gets a chance to see anything else. It would be really nice to know Dusan’s fate. Not just for us fans but for… Read more »

Reply to  Dof87

Similar thoughts about Dusan. Love the guy, what a great team player. Any delay doesn’t help anyone, and the NCAA is well aware of the chaos (that they caused) going on with the transfer portal right now. We need a decision. Unless we have strong medical reassurance that we can rely on him next season, I think we have to use his scholarship if given the opportunity to pick up a player of his quality. The worst that could happen is we wait, and either the NCAA refuses his medical redshirt or he can’t physically play if he does get… Read more »

Last edited 1 year ago by Papajohn
Reply to  Papajohn

Maybe if he gets cleared he could walk on and pay his tuition with NIL money.

Reply to  Dof87

Yep, that’s the rumor floating around

Reply to  Dof87

I don’t think he has any eligibility left without the NCAA approval.

wolfpack74
wolfpack74
Reply to  Papajohn

Did we lose Dunn due to the money? I read an earlier article where he was very serious about accepting the position at State. Georgetown must have some real buck to share.

Reply to  wolfpack74

No idea, but that’s where my head goes every time we lose a player we expect to have a shot at. That 7’ kid that went to Florida still kills me.

wolfpack74
wolfpack74
Reply to  Papajohn

We have five guards now counting Morsell and Parker, how about a couple of forwards. We have the Parker kid coming in, but we need someone with experience to help.

Reply to  wolfpack74

We have a 6’10” kid coming this weekend, Ben Middlebrooks, a transfer from Clemson. 2 years experience. Ironically, his career high game (10/7) was the first game against us this season. So KK & Co have seen a lot of him.
My guess is, he fits nicely into the Dusan slot. Same size, two years eligibility remaining.

Last edited 1 year ago by Papajohn
Reply to  Papajohn

I think NIL $ impact a lot of decisions, but I tend to think many kids in the portal are looking at competition for playing time. Dusan is a question mark and Burns, Ross, Miranda, and Parker almost certainly will play lots of minutes next year. We need an experienced, shot blocking bruiser who is not afraid to mix it up in practice or games.

NC State Basketball

Jersey Numbers for 2024-25 NC State Men’s Basketball Team Revealed

Published

on

The NC State Men’s Basketball team revealed the Jersey Numbers for their 2024-25 team yesterday.

Image

Numbers that are Staying the Same

Michael O’Connell – #12

Ben Middlebrooks – #34

Dennis Parker Jr. – #11

KJ Keatts – #13

Jordan Snell – #22

Numbers that have Changed

Jayden Taylor – #1 –> #8

Breon Pass – #10 –> #4

Numbers of New Players

Mike James – #0 (He wore #0 at Louisville last year)

Brandon Huntley-Hatfield – #1 (He wore #5 at Louisville last year)

Paul McNeil – #2 (He wore #2 in High School last year)

Dontrez Styles – #3 (He wore #0 at Georgetown last year)

Trey Parker – #5 (He wore #5 in High School last year)

Marcus Hill – #10 (He wore #0 at Bowling Green last year)

We don’t know what number Ismael Diouf will be wearing at NC State next year yet.

Continue Reading

NC State Basketball

Kareem Richardson Promoted To Associate Head Coach at NC State

Published

on

RALEIGH, N.C. – NC State men’s basketball head coach Kevin Keatts announced Wednesday that assistant coach Kareem Richardson has been promoted to associate head coach effective immediately.

“I’m proud to promote Kareem to associate head coach,” Keatts said. “He is a valuable member of my staff and has really enhanced NC State both in his relationship with our players and staff, but also his ability to teach, scout and game plan. He is a well-rounded coach that has an impact on every facet of our program, and I feel fortunate to have him as part of my staff.”

The upcoming 2024-25 season will be Richardson’s third at NC State. The Pack has earned bids to the NCAA Tournament in both seasons Richardson has been on staff, including last season when NC State won the ACC Championship and advanced to the Final Four.

NC State has had three different guards (DJ Horne, Jarkel Joiner and Terquavion Smith) earn All-ACC honors under Richardson’s tutelage.

Richardson was previously head coach at UMKC for 2013-19 and has been an assistant coach at power conference programs such as Louisville, Xavier and Clemson in his 25-year coaching career.

Continue Reading

NC State Basketball

WATCH: Getting to Know NC State’s Dontrez Styles

Published

on

NC State Men’s Basketball is releasing videos helping fans get to know the new players on the 2024-25 roster.

Below is the video of Georgetown Transfer Forward Dontrez Styles (6’6″/212), with a transcript underneath.

I’m Dontrez Styles, a transfer from Georgetown University. I knew where I wanted to be. At the end of the day, I knew I wanted to come back home and play for a guy like Keatts. That was the main thing for me.

Being back home is amazing. My family can see me play every game now. An hour from Kinston, North Carolina. It’s a small city. I love it. Just growing there. A lot of great guys. A lot of great basketball players. My family is there. It’s my life.

I grew up in the Brandon Ingram era, so I went to every Kinston High School game. Just seeing him play motivated me to get in the gym and keep working. The grind has paid off.

It’s crazy. I would have never imagined this happening. It’s very rare for someone to go to North Carolina and NC State. Me being one of the first guys to do that, I believe it’s different, but I’m enjoying it so far. I can’t wait to get started.

Coach (Levi) Watkins recruited me when he was at Ole Miss. He’s been with me since my Sophomore year, I believe. Just having that relationship with them makes it easier every day.

Just being back, it’s going to be very fun, especially now. The hype is crazy. I can’t wait to be back home and get started, and hopefully win that National Championship.

_______

Styles was the 2nd leading scorer for Georgetown this past season, averaging 12.8 points per game, while grabbing 5.8 boards. He shot 36.8% from three.

Originally, Sytles was a consensus 4-Star prospect in UNC’s 2021 recruiting class. 247Sports ranked him as the #62 overall player nationally, and the #2 player in the state of North Carolina, playing for Kinston High School.

After two seasons with the Tar Heels, Styles entered the Portal, and took an Official Visit to NC State and Georgetown, and ultimately chose the Hoyas.

Styles will be spending his final year of eligibility with NC State.

Continue Reading

NC State Basketball

WATCH: Getting to Know NC State’s Mike James

Published

on

Below is the video of Louisville Transfer Guard Mike James (6’5″/200), with a transcript underneath.

I last played at the University of Louisville. I spent three years there. Played two. Redshirted my first year because of injury. I enjoyed my time there, but all good things got to come to an end, and I’m here at North Carolina State.

Entering the Portal is just like going through High School recruitment again. You’re getting your phone blown up every other hour, every single day. You’ve got to get on long phone calls. You’re kind of going through the process again, but this time, you kind of know what you want. You’ve been through College Basketball, so you know what questions to ask, what to expect, and you kind of just get straight to the point. I feel like the process was similar, but different this time. It went a lot quicker, and I knew exactly what I wanted. I want to win at the end of the day. Playing time is earned, and all that stuff. You’ve got to come in here and take care of that.

Winning is very important, and I haven’t done that so far, but that’s the one thing I want to change about my college career. Seeing y’all go on that run was really appealing to me.

I like to get to the basket. Draw fouls. Finish at the rim. Knock down shots on the perimeter. Defend 1-4 positions on the other end.

I want to come in and win. I want to be a leader for our team. I’m an older guy now, so I want to be a leader. I want to come in and win another ACC Championship, and make another NCAA Tournament run.

_______

This past year, James averaged 12.6 points per game (3rd on the team) and 5 rebounds. He’s extremely physical and aggressive, taking 47% of his field goal attempts at the rim (making 46%). As a result, he draws a lot of fouls, ranking 10th in the ACC in Fouls Drawn, and 4th in Free Throw Rate. James made opponents pay this year when they put him on the line, making 81.8% from the charity stripe, which ranked 15th in the ACC.

James shot the ball better as a Redshirt Freshman, than he did this past season. His Effective Field Goal Percentage in 2022-23 was 55.8%, which ranked 19th in the ACC, and his True Shooting Percentage of 59.6% ranked 14th.

News broke about James entering the Transfer Portal back on March 25th, and NC State was quick to reach out. Kevin Keatts and his staff recruited the former 4-star prospect out of high school heavily, but he ultimately chose the Cardinals.

After redshirting his first year in Louisville due to torn achilles, James has been a starter for the Cardinals the past two years.

He does have the ability to knock down a three, making 34.8% for his career.

James has 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Continue Reading