RALEIGH, N.C. – As one of the nation’s two remaining unbeaten teams, the second-ranked NC State baseball team will host top-ranked Florida State in an exciting Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) series this weekend. Friday and Saturday’s games are set for 6:30 p.m., while Sunday’s series finale is slated for 1 p.m. at Doak Field at Dail Park.
All three games will be broadcast live on the ACC Network Extra, accessible through Watch ESPN and the Watch ESPN App. Radio coverage will also be available on WKNC 88.1 FM and on GoPack.com for premium subscribers with Andrew Sanders on the call.
NC State heads into the weekend with a perfect 17-0 record and a 3-0 mark in ACC play, while Florida State is 13-2 and 2-1 in conference action.
Friday, March 15 at 6:30 p.m.
– Theme: Red Out, Alumni Association Day
– Giveaway: Red Out T-Shirts to all fans (400), Capital Pest K Cards, Baseball Bingo Cards
– Friday Night Field of Dreams: 8u Wildcat Red Youth baseball team will join the team on the field for the National Anthem
– Baseball Bingo presented by East Village Grill
Saturday, March 16 at 6:30 p.m.
– Theme: First Responder’s Day
– Giveaway: Capital Pest K Cards
Sunday, March 17 at 1 p.m.
– Theme: St. PACKtricks Day, Youth League Day
– Giveaway: Color Changing 17oz. cups to all fans (400), Capital Pest K Cards
– Sunday Funday: Wolfpup Anthem with the team, Kid’s Zone
– Face Painter/Balloon Artist: Will be in the kid’s zone from 12:30-2:30pm
– Postgame: Kids Circle the Bases
Last Time Out
In its last outing, the Wolfpack cruised past the George Mason Patriots with an 18-3 win to earn its 17th win of the season. NC State’s 18 runs is the second most in a game this season and the sixth time that the Pack has surpassed 10 runs in a game.
NC State and Florida State have met 101 times in the history of the programs with the Seminoles leading the all-time series, 70-31.
Last Time Versus Florida State
The teams were placed in the same pool of the ACC Championship last season, as Florida State earned a 5-2 win in the most recent matchup between the programs.
Last Series Versus Florida State
Last year, the Wolfpack and Seminoles met on the final weekend of conference play in Tallahassee. Florida State won the series last season thanks to a pair of walkoff home runs in extra innings of game one and game two.
NC State avoided the sweep with a win in the series finale, as home run from Evan Edwards and Brett Kinneman helped lift the Pack to the win.
Last Time Versus Florida State at Doak Field
NC State won the last series against Florida State in Raleigh during the 2017 season. After dropping a 16-7 decision in game one, the Wolfpack bounced back in game two of the series with a 4-3 win thanks to a three-run homer from Evan Mendoza and a strong performance from Brian Brown on the mound.
The Pack scored four runs in the first inning of the series finale to clinch the series win, as Michael Bienlien was stellar on the mound to earn the win with six innings pitched.
The Rundown on Florida State
– The Florida State Seminoles are 13-2 on the year and 2-1 in ACC play, taking the series from Virginia Tech last weekend.
– FSU was picked to finish second in the ACC’s Atlantic Division, receiving six first-place votes to Louisville’s seven.
– The Seminoles have hit 28 home runs as a team this season to lead the conference and rank third in the NCAA.
– Florida State is also among the top five in the nation in on-base percentage with a .438 slash to pace the league.
Flashing the Leather
NC State leads the ACC and ranks sixth in the nation with a .985 fielding percentage. Florida State is right behind the Wolfpack with a .984 clip to rank second in the conference and seventh nationally.
Best Start in Program History
With a record of 17-0, NC State is off to its best start in program history, surpassing the previous best for the program of 12-0 to open the season set by the 1992 squad.
Don’t Give Up, Don’t Ever Give Up
NC State has trailed at some point in 10 of its 17 games this season but has responded to win the contest to remain unbeaten. The Wolfpack has trailed after six innings in five games this year and has risen to the test each time.
The Pack’s most impressive comeback of the season came against NC Central, as NC State fell behind 8-1 but rallied to win the contest, 11-10, in extra innings. The seven-run deficit was the largest overcome in a game for the Wolfpack since 2005.
Leading the Way
Junior pitcher Kent Klyman is the only pitcher in the country with five wins on the season.
Making it Count
The Wolfpack has made the most of its opportunities this season, as the squad has won eight one-run games.
Tyler McDonough has enjoyed a hot start to the 2019 campaign, as the freshman leads NC State with a .352 batting average. That mark is 11th in the conference and fourth-best among freshmen.
The Wolfpack’s center fielder has compiled a team-high nine multi-hit games and has tallied a hit in the past four games, headlined by a four-hit outing in the series finale against Pitt.
NC State batters have hit 46 doubles this season, which leads the ACC and is third best in the NCAA. The Wolfpack recorded a season-high six doubles at NC Central last week.
In 2017, NC State led the ACC and finished sixth in the NCAA with 140 doubles.
Getting on Base
Patrick Bailey, Jonny Butler and Evan Edwards have all reached base safely in every game this season. Bailey leads the group and the team with a .488 on-base percentage.
Photo Credit: @NCStateBaseball