NC State Football Recruiting Update – April 17, 2019
3* Athlete Devan Boykin – Ragsdale HS – Jamestown, NC. 5’11”, 180. He is the son of Ragsdale’s Head Coach. A very good athlete, can play a lot of different positions. Best projects as a nickel or safety in college. Excels on Special Teams in High School and very well could contribute immediately as a punt returner/kick returner. He has legit 4.5 speed. He becomes another speedy, super athletic addition to our secondary in this cycle.
Highlights of Boykin
3* Center Ethan Lane – Archer HS – Lawrenceville, GA. 6’3″, 270. Right now, he is only rated a 3* by one service. Lane was offered by us a few weeks ago, and attended the Spring Game. He has a big frame and excels in downfield blocking, particularly in the run game. On film, he looks to be a solid 3* prospect and looks like he will develop into another mauler type blocker like Bradbury was for us over the last few season. He becomes the first offensive line commitment for our 2020 cycle and probably will be joined by at least two more prospects (One Tackle and One Guard).
Highlights of Lane
Update in Rankings
- Commit WR/ATH Nate McCollum, who committed several weeks ago, has recently been upgraded on 24/7 sports and Scout. He is now a 90 overall rated prospect, good for a 4* rating. Notes on this rating increase on 24/7 sports’ leads one to think that he could be in the top 30 receivers in the country once his junior year tape is fully evaluated.
- Commit DT Jaylen Smith has been upgraded to a 3* prospect on Rivals. Yet again, another analyst has stated that they would not be surprised if Smith would scrap into 4* territory based upon analysis of his film.
- Commit S Joseph Johnson has been upgraded to a 3* prospect on Rivals. In addition to Smith and McCollum, Johnson could easily find himself rated as a 4* prospect once his film is fully evaluated.
- Target LB Mohamed Kaba (Clinton, NC) has been upgraded to a 4* Linebacker on 24/7 sports and Scout. He is now the #19 Outside Linebacker in the country.
Target LB Trenton Simpson (Charlotte, NC) has been upgraded to a 4* Linebacker on 24/7 sports, Scout, and Rivals following an outstanding performance at a recent combine event for Rivals. He is now the #9 Outside Linebacker in the country.
Upgrade in Team Rankings
With Boykins’ and Lane’s commitment, State’s current recruiting class is rated the #16 in the country by 24/7 sports/Scout and the #15 class in the country on Rivals. I fully expect us to be around #13 or #14 overall once Lane’s film is evaluated.
Class By The Numbers
- 4*s – Two – WR Porter Rooks and WR Nate McCollum
- 3*s – Five – QB Ben Finley, S Aydan White, S Devan Boykin, CB Joseph Johnson, and DT Jaylen Smith
- 4 – Number of Players in the Top 28 of North Carolina. Only 8 out of the top 28 have committed already – 1 to Clemson, 2 to UNC, 1 to South Carolina, 4 to NC State.
- 4 – Number of Defensive Players Committed (2 S, 1 CB, 1 DT)
- 3 – Number of Offensive Players Committed (1 QB, 1 Slot Receiver, 1 Outside Receiver)
Commitments Missed On
- 3* OG RJ Adams has committed to Penn State and is now removed from the board.
- 3* OT Jordan Williams has committed to Georgia Tech and is now removed from the board.
- 3* OG Seth McLaughlin has committed to Alabama and is now removed from the board.
- Looks like 3* CB Andru Phillips from South Carolina is going to commit to Kentucky any day now.
- Looks like 4* WR Mike Wyman from North Carolina is going to commit to South Carolina any day now.
Wide Receiver Situation
I think we will only take one more receiver in this class, unless we have some unforeseen attrition between now and the end of the season. 3* Jhari Patterson, 3* Antonio Barber, 4* Ayden Henningham, and 4* Mushin Muhammad are all in play for the last spot. Muhammad just took a visit to Texas A&M, which really impressed him, but I don’t see him leaving the state. I think we have an inside track for Barber and Muhammad, with Henningham also being impressed by his visit to our Spring Game.
Offensive Line Situation
With RJ Adams committing to Penn State, that only leaves a handful of known targets for the offensive line.
- 3* OG Vershon Lee (Woodbridge, VA)
- 3* OT Anthony Carter (Charlotte, NC)
- 3* Jonathan Adorno (Rolesville, NC) and 3* Sean Hill (Snellville, GA) are two late-blooming prospects to keep an eye on.
Evaluation Period Begins
April 15th marked the beginning of the Evaluation Period for the NCAA Football Recruiting Calendar.
The Evaluation Period means: “An authorized off-campus recruiter may use one evaluation to assess the prospective student-athlete’s athletics ability and one evaluation to assess the prospective student-athlete’s academic qualifications during this evaluation period. If an institution’s coaching staff member conducts both an athletics and an academic evaluation of the prospective student-athlete on the same day during this evaluation period, the institution shall be charged with the use of an academic evaluation only and shall be permitted to conduct a second athletics evaluation of the prospective student-athlete on a separate day during this evaluation period.”
The Evaluation Period runs between April 15th and May 31st with the exception of Sundays and Memorial Day.
Look for our coaches to be on the road quite a bit over the next few weeks to attend combines and camps and to attend HS workouts to identify and offer new talent in the 2020 and 2021 classes.
- 3* DE AJ Beatty – Pittsburgh Central Catholic HS – Rated the #68 DE in country by 24/7 sports and Scout.
- 4* OT Aaryn Parks – National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Maryland – Rated the #18 OT in the country by 24/7 sports and Scout.
- 3* CB Lovie Jenkins – Ocoee, Florida – Rated the #85 CB in the country by 24/7 sports and Scout
- 3* OT Timothy Lawson Jr – National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Maryland – Rated the #85 OT in the country by 24/7 sports and Scout.
New Recruiting Graphics
Here are some of the new recruiting graphics used over the last few weeks:
3-Star RB Caleb McDowell Commits to NC State
3-Star 2021 Running Back Caleb McDowell (5’10″/175) NC State committed to NC State yesterday.
Respect it!🐐🖤thanks to all coaches who recruited me💯 pic.twitter.com/JxN4VDbc3S
— ~🥋~ (@mcdowellcalebb5) April 15, 2020
McDowell plays for Lee County High School in Leesburg Georgia. He chose to run with the Wolfpack over offers from Syracuse, Cincinnati, Colorado, East Carolina, Purdue, Indiana and others.
NC State offered McDowell back on March 4th.
McDowell reportedly bench presses over 330, and squats 600 pounds, runs a 4.4 40-yard dash, and has a 40+ inch vertical leap. He plays on both sides of the ball, and even earned 1st Team All-State honors last year as a Defensive Back, but he is being recruited to play running back in Raleigh.
— ~🥋~ (@mcdowellcalebb5) December 17, 2019
— Jeff Littleton (@CoachLit22) March 13, 2019
McDowell is NC State’s 4th commit in the 2021 recruiting class.
NC State Makes Top-10 for 3-Star CB Jordan Blackmon
3-Star 2021 Cornerback Jordan Blackmon (5’10″/175) revealed his Top-10 list, and NC State made the cut along with South Florida, Indiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Louisville, Ole Miss, Illinois and Marshall.
— Jblack😴 (@jblack_EG) April 12, 2020
NC State was one of the first to offer Blackmon back on November 19th.
Blackmon plays for Eau Gallie down in Melbourne, Florida. Rivals ranks him as the #49 Cornerback nationally, and the #96 player in the state of Florida.
3-Star CB Mario Love Commits to NC State
3-Star 2021 Cornerback Mario Love (5’10″/170) verbally committed to NC State on Friday.
— Huncho ⁶ (@MarioLoveJr6) April 10, 2020
Love plays for Hough High School in Cornelius, North Carolina. NC State Redshirt Freshman Nickel Jalen Frazier also played for Hough.
247Sports ranks Love as the #36 overall player in the 2021 recruiting class in North Carolina.
He also held offers from Tennessee, Penn State, UNC, Louisville, Georgia Tech, ECU, Duke and others.
3-Star CB Javon Bullard Includes NC State in Top-12
3-Star Cornerback Javon Bullard (6’0″/168) released his Top-12 schools on Sunday, and NC State made the cut along with West Virginia, Auburn, Boston College, Vanderbilt, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, South Carolina, Stanford, Georgia, UCF and Purdue.
MY TOP 12 SCHOOLS ❤︎
*Other schools can still contact me at this time, I am still accepting ALL schools. pic.twitter.com/y9SUv1GCwW
— Javon Bullard ♛ (@cravejaaye) April 5, 2020
NC State offered Bullard a scholarship on February 20th. He plays for Baldwin High School in Milledgeville, Georgia. 247Sports ranks Bullard as the #53 overall player in the state of Georgia in the 2021 recruiting class.
Thus far, NC State has two commitments in their 2021 recruiting class.