NC State head coach Dave Doeren spoke with the media after the Wolfpack fell to Virginia Tech 45-24 tonight. Below is a BULLETED breakdown of what he had to say.
- VT deserves a lot of credit.
- Most physical team tonight.
- Outplayed us.
- Out-coached us.
- A lot to learn from this film and a lot of work to do.
- Didn’t expect it.
- Really excited where we came out last week.
- We missed having some guys on defense tonight from a health stand point.
- Guys continued to play hard, but didn’t do enough to put us in a place to win.
- Give up 314 yards rushing and turn the ball over twice.
- Took too long to get started offensively, with 80-some yards in the 1st half.
- Defense didn’t start the way we expected them to.
- It’s a loss. Not the end of the season.
Khalid Martin Injury…
- He was communicating with us.
- Was moving his fingers and toes.
- He had a lot of pain.
- Told us to go finish the game.
On when he started thinking about the QB change…
- Didn’t talk about it at halftime.
- Thought we could regroup and get some things going.
- After the 2nd interception we said ‘give him another series and see how he responds.’
- He went 3-and-out on that drive, and we thought we needed a spark.
- Devin led us on 2 scoring drives and did some good things, and also did some things he needs to learn from.
Defensive Starters Injured…
- Not having Payton Wilson, Tanner Ingle and Teshaun Smith hurts.
- Rakeim Ashford came in and started for Tanner, and he got hurt.
- Then Khalid Martin came in and he got hurt.
- Have some deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball right now, and a lot of them are on the weakside of the defense.
- It was evident.
- Last week Drake Thomas was playing SAM linebacker, and tonight he had to play WILL because Payton was out.
- Tanner and Payton are both hitters and physical, and this was their type of game.
- We didn’t know what we were going to get.
- QB Hendon Hooker was listed as the starter on the Depth Chart.
- Prepared for what he did.
- Then we had to adjust to what this was going to be.
- They had some new schemes.
- We didn’t do a good job getting off blocks and tackling.
- Thought we set the edges better than we did a week ago.
- More of the problems were internal.
Adjusting to stop the run game…
- Took our middle safety and added him into the run game.
- In the 2nd quarter we slowed them down and did some good things.
- Offensively we couldn’t get anything going, and the D was out there a lot.