Today marked the first day of NC State’s 2018 Fall Camp. Wolfpack head coach Dave Doeren spoke with the media afterwards. Here’s what he had to say in bulleted form:
- Wish we could have been outside. Great to be back on the field with the guys. Pretty clean. Not a lot of balls on the ground.
- Good to see the guys who haven’t been able to be out there. Obviously first glimpse of incoming freshmen.
- No pads. Can’t get too excited about anything.
- Finley’s connection with his receivers is special. They know what the other is thinking. Takes time. 3rd year together. Great chemistry. Care a lot about each other.
- Good competition on defense. Guys knew what their weaknesses were coming out of the Spring.
- Lot of physical growth and gain. RS JR DT Larrell Murchison was 280ish last year. He’s around 300 now.
- Good to have SR DT Eurndraus Bryant back. Didn’t practice in the Spring.
- RS SO DT Shug Frazier was in a yellow jersey today, and ran with the 2’s. He injured his toe last year. Just a process of getting him back . He’s going to slowly progress back into full drill.
- SO OG Joshua Fedd-Jackson started two games last year, and SO OT Justin Witt played a lot last year. They are new starters, but they have started in games. Don’t really feel like they are breaking two guys in. Cohesiveness is the big thing. Playing beside each other.
- Offensive Line coach Dwayne Ledford does a great job building chemistry, relationships and brotherhood.
- RS Nickel Stephen Griffin didn’t practice today. Lingering foot injury. Nothing really bad. Probably be back next week sometime.
- SR RB Reggie Gallaspy looks good. Other guys are going to get a lot of reps. FR Rickey Person and Trent Pennix, and RS FR Nakia Robinson are going to be soaked. Going to get a lot of work in fall camp.
- This summer challenged RS JR DE James Smith-Williams, SR DE Darian Roseboro, and SR DT Eurndraus Bryant to get around each other more. They trained more together. Hung out more together. Went out to eat more together. Have to invest in each other as friends off of the field.
- Where you were experienced last year you’re not (Defensive Line). Where you weren’t (secondary), you are now.
- RS JR DT’s Val Martin and Larrell Murchison both have played two years of college football. They are plug-and-play guys.
- RS SO TE Cary Angeline is probably more like David Grinnage with the height. Probably the most versatile guy we’ve had. He’s a blend between Grinnage and Cole Cook. Good in-line player and a guy you can move around. For 6’7″, 250b guy, he’s pretty nimble. He will only miss the first 3 games, and will be able to play in game 4. A TE that big can be a QB’s friend. Ryan has been really impressed with him. Excited about what he brings to the passing game. Real quiet. Goes about his business. I would assume anyone on a football team would like to play with a guy like that. A guy who just does what he’s supposed to do all the time.
Dave Doeren Talks After Final Day of NC State’s 2018 Fall Camp: 8/21/18
Today was the final day of NC State’s 2018 Fall Camp, and Wolfpack head coach Dave Doeren spoke with the media. Here’s what he had to say in BULLETED form.
(Wasn’t able to make it out today. The video below is from PackPride’s YouTube Channel)
- Have some guys that are banged up. Getting back a lot of the guys now. Few guys missed significant time. Helped other guys get reps. Most of it wasn’t serious, but we didn’t want it to become anything long term.
- Freshman RB Ricky Person is now back at practice. He’s healthier. Got about half the reps in practice.
- RS JR Nickel Stephen Griffin still hasn’t practiced. Good thing is he took every rep in the spring. Has played two years of Division-1 football.
- RS SO DT Shug Frazier was back out there today. First full day.
- Excited about FR Nickel Tanner Ingle and RS JR Nickel Freddie Phillips. Better depth than we’ve had there in years.
- RS JR DT Larrell Murchison and RS SR Eurndraus Bryant have done a good job of solidifying the inside during camp. Feels like rotation with RS FR Grant Gibson and RS SO Shug Frazier gives them 4 guys inside.
- Need to solidify the 2’s behind RS JR James Smith-Williams and SR DE Darian Roseboro on the ends. Have moved RS FR Ibrahim Kante back outside, but he has the ability also to play inside now. GR DE Deonte Holden got a lot of reps in camp. Healthy for the 1st time.
- RS JR Larrell Murchison is a different guy. In the 290’s. Playing fast. Strong when he arrived, but didn’t play under control.
- Captains are voted on by the players.
- SR RB Reggie Gallaspy is the starter, but we still have to see who is going to get the ball after him. Options, but not solidified yet.
- SR WR Kelvin Harmon looks good. Like a grown man.
- Rotation at cornerback is still going. Good thing is, a lot of guys are making plays. Pretty impressed with JR Kishawn Miller the past couple of days. JR Nick McCloud has had a very good camp. Just have to get someone across from him. SO Chris Ingram has been out a couple of days, so have been able to rep the younger guys. Teshaun Smith is a FR that’s looked really good. Hit the wall a little bit today with the 2-minute redzone.
- Tomorrow is a day off. First day of school. Get them back on Thursday and get going.
- Coaches will use tonight and tomorrow to solidify 1st and 2nd down gamelans for James Madison, and go over it on Thursday with players. Saturday will have a mock game. Get going into a normal game week on Sunday.
- Think about where they were a few years ago. Couldn’t throw a forward pass the first year, and didn’t have a receiver over 6’0″. Come a long way.
- On the first day RS JR Jakobi Meyers moved to WR, knew he could be really good, but didn’t now if he would buy in. Made the conscious choice to become great.
NC State Announces Captains & Leadership Council for 2018 Football Season
RALEIGH, N.C. – NC State head coach Dave Doeren announced this evening the four men who will serve as captains for the 2018 football season. The members of the Wolfpack team voted on the captains earlier this week.
“Being selected as a captain is a real honor because it’s voted on by their peers,” said Doeren. “These four guys personify the meaning of 1Pack1Goal and the standards that we embrace as a program. I’ve proud of them for the leadership they’ve shown and the respect they’ve earned from their coaches and teammates.”
Doeren also announced the Wolfpack’s 2018 Leadership Council, which will serve as the “voice of the locker room.” This group of players represents each position on the field and is chosen by the team to provide guidance and direction.
The council will give Doeren and the coaching staff input on some decisions, while a player can go to the council with issues they would like brought up to the coaches.
Here’s a look at the 2018 Wolfpack Leadership Council (number in parenthesis indicates number of years on the council if more than 1):
Dylan Autenrieth (2)
A.J. Cole III (4)
NC State DL Coach Kevin Patrick Breaks Down D-Line Depth Chart
We caught up with NC State defensive line coach Kevin Patrick last week, and he broke down how RS JR Larrell Murchison has claimed the #1 spot, the leaders on the line, and how they are “force feeding” FR Alim McNeil. Check out the VIDEO below, with a BULLETED breakdown underneath.
- Starting to develop some true 1’s. Redshirt Junior Defensive Tackle Larrell Murchison has really come on. Different player than he was last year. Taken a lot of pride in himself. The redshirt year really helped him a lot coming from Junior College. Really helping building some unity in the interior with him and Senior Defensive Tackle Eurndraus Bryant. He’s been going full force. He didn’t just get that #1 spot. He went and took it, which was the most impressive thing. His attack at the line of scrimmage is as good as we’ve got.
- Redshirt Freshman Defensive Tackle Ibrahim Kante weighs 250 pounds. Moved him inside. Feel like that’s the best fit for us. When he puts on some more weight, he’s going to be special player down there. He’s not scared of contact.
- Senior Defensive End Darian Roseboro is a more vocal leader. Senior Defensive End James Smith-Williams is a little bit more mild, behind the scenes, whispering stuff to the other guys.
- Freshman Defensive End Joseph Boletepeli has a very high ceiling.
- Been force feeding Freshman Defensive Tackle Alim McNeil. For a guy who has been playing linebacker and fullback his whole life, it’s taking some time. It’s a different world inside. We knew it would take some time, but I think the game is slowing down for him, and he’s able to react faster.
- Redshirt Sophomore Val Martin has some things he needs to overcome. Needs to work on his eyes. Right now the other guys are just playing better than him. He’s really a young guy. It’s really like he’s going into his Sophomore year. He’s had one year of junior college football under his belt. We have him for 3 years. He’s coming along.
- Redshirt Freshman Defensive Tackle Grant Gibson is coming along everyday. He’s pushing it in that #2 spot. Now we need to get those 2’s to push the 1’s a little bit more for the jobs in front of them.
Current Breakdown of the Depth Chart at D-Line according to Patrick:
DE – SR Darian Roseboro
DT – SR Eurndraus Bryant/RS FR Grant Gibson
DT – RS JR Larrell Murchison/FR Alim McNeil/RS FR Ibrahim Kante
DE – RS JR James Smith-Williams
NC State Ranks 32nd in 2018 AP Preseason College Football Poll
The 2018 AP Preseason College Football Poll was released today, and NC State ranked 32nd. The Wolfpack finished the 2017 season ranked 23rd in the ACC after going 9-4. For perspective, NC State was ranked 30th in the 2017 AP Preseason Poll last year.
ACC Teams in the Top-25
19) Florida St.
20) Virginia Tech
ACC Teams Receiving Votes
32) NC State
34) Boston College
West Virginia, NC State’s 3rd opponent this season, sits at #17.
NC State Football4 days ago
McShay: NC State’s Ryan Finley the BEST 2019 NFL Draft Prospect
NC State Basketball3 days ago
NC State, Adidas emails made public. More about uniforms than Dennis Smith
NC State Football4 days ago
Ibrahim Kante Talks about a new city, a new position and a new mentality
Football Recruiting3 days ago
NC State 2019 Football Commits Week 1 Report
Pack in the Pros4 days ago
NC State’s 2018 NFL Preseason Week 2 Report: 8/17/18
Pack in the Pros2 days ago
NC State’s 2018 NFL Preseason Week 2 Report: 8/18/18
NC State Baseball3 days ago
Trea Turner’s power / speed combo puts him in MLB history books
NC State Baseball3 days ago
Detroit Tigers promote Brock Deatherage to A-Advanced & he keeps raking