Head Coach Dave Doeren spoke with the media today after practice, as NC State continues in Fall Camp, now in full pads. Here’s what he had to say in BULLETED form.
- In full pads, you are able to coach fundamentals and technique differently. Without pads you don’t really get to see the flaws in a lot of the play. Get to see guys finish. Defensive knocking some of the balls out today. Whether ball security is where it needs to be. See who is tough. Having the heat helps.
- Players that you want look forward to the heat and full pads. If that’s not what you want, then why are you out here?
- Had a day off yesterday. Good for them physically and mentally.
- Good having Redshirt Junior Freddie Phillips back (tore his achilles in season opener last season). Worked hard. Everyone is pulling for him. Still has the yellow jersey on. Try hard guy. Tough guy. Cares a lot.
- Freshman Defensive Tackle Alim McNeil was pretty out of football shape I would say. He’s starting to come along. Starting to see him. He’s explosive. He’s got to learn what he’s doing and play with better technique. Excited about what he can do.
- Redshirt Freshman Ibrahim Kante (DE) as I mentioned the other day continues to show.
- Good having Redshirt Sophomore Shug Frazier (DT) back in practice.
- Those are the guys standing out on the D-Line (McNeil, Frazier, Kante).
- Seniors Darian Roseboro and James Smith-Williams have done a really good job leading at the end position. Senior Defensive Tackle Eurndraus Bryant is a quiet guy, and goes about his business everyday. Graduate Defensive End Deonte Holden is trying to give the guys spirit everyday as well.
- Biggest area to improve on defense is to get more interceptions. Want more. Done a nice job stopping the run and creating fumbles. Tackles for loss, sacks and plays in the backfield have been above par, just need to get more balls going in the other direction. DB’s need to make their layups when the ball hits them in the hands.
- Sophomore Chris Ingram is doing well. Going against guys like Kelvin Harmon, and being in position, yet still not stopping him can be frustrating. Made a great play today punching the ball out. Like his attitude and how he’s going about his business. Good competition at cornerback.
- Redshirt Sophomore Wide Receiver CJ Riley is more confident. He’s now two years away from a torn ACL, so that helps. He’s 6’5″, and the fastest guy on the team. Played really well the first four days, and kind of hit the wall on day 5. Was better today. Expect him to be productive this season.
- Good competition at nickelback. Still waiting for Redshirt Junior Stephen Griffin (transfer from Tennessee) to come back. Lingering ankle thing. When they have him, Freddie Phillips and Freshman Tanner Ingle feel good about those guys and that depth. Ingle has looked really good.
- Ingle has looked the best of the defensive freshman so far.
Dave Doeren Talks After Final Day of NC State’s 2018 Fall Camp: 8/21/18
Today was the final day of NC State’s 2018 Fall Camp, and Wolfpack head coach Dave Doeren spoke with the media. Here’s what he had to say in BULLETED form.
(Wasn’t able to make it out today. The video below is from PackPride’s YouTube Channel)
- Have some guys that are banged up. Getting back a lot of the guys now. Few guys missed significant time. Helped other guys get reps. Most of it wasn’t serious, but we didn’t want it to become anything long term.
- Freshman RB Ricky Person is now back at practice. He’s healthier. Got about half the reps in practice.
- RS JR Nickel Stephen Griffin still hasn’t practiced. Good thing is he took every rep in the spring. Has played two years of Division-1 football.
- RS SO DT Shug Frazier was back out there today. First full day.
- Excited about FR Nickel Tanner Ingle and RS JR Nickel Freddie Phillips. Better depth than we’ve had there in years.
- RS JR DT Larrell Murchison and RS SR Eurndraus Bryant have done a good job of solidifying the inside during camp. Feels like rotation with RS FR Grant Gibson and RS SO Shug Frazier gives them 4 guys inside.
- Need to solidify the 2’s behind RS JR James Smith-Williams and SR DE Darian Roseboro on the ends. Have moved RS FR Ibrahim Kante back outside, but he has the ability also to play inside now. GR DE Deonte Holden got a lot of reps in camp. Healthy for the 1st time.
- RS JR Larrell Murchison is a different guy. In the 290’s. Playing fast. Strong when he arrived, but didn’t play under control.
- Captains are voted on by the players.
- SR RB Reggie Gallaspy is the starter, but we still have to see who is going to get the ball after him. Options, but not solidified yet.
- SR WR Kelvin Harmon looks good. Like a grown man.
- Rotation at cornerback is still going. Good thing is, a lot of guys are making plays. Pretty impressed with JR Kishawn Miller the past couple of days. JR Nick McCloud has had a very good camp. Just have to get someone across from him. SO Chris Ingram has been out a couple of days, so have been able to rep the younger guys. Teshaun Smith is a FR that’s looked really good. Hit the wall a little bit today with the 2-minute redzone.
- Tomorrow is a day off. First day of school. Get them back on Thursday and get going.
- Coaches will use tonight and tomorrow to solidify 1st and 2nd down gamelans for James Madison, and go over it on Thursday with players. Saturday will have a mock game. Get going into a normal game week on Sunday.
- Think about where they were a few years ago. Couldn’t throw a forward pass the first year, and didn’t have a receiver over 6’0″. Come a long way.
- On the first day RS JR Jakobi Meyers moved to WR, knew he could be really good, but didn’t now if he would buy in. Made the conscious choice to become great.
NC State Announces Captains & Leadership Council for 2018 Football Season
RALEIGH, N.C. – NC State head coach Dave Doeren announced this evening the four men who will serve as captains for the 2018 football season. The members of the Wolfpack team voted on the captains earlier this week.
“Being selected as a captain is a real honor because it’s voted on by their peers,” said Doeren. “These four guys personify the meaning of 1Pack1Goal and the standards that we embrace as a program. I’ve proud of them for the leadership they’ve shown and the respect they’ve earned from their coaches and teammates.”
Doeren also announced the Wolfpack’s 2018 Leadership Council, which will serve as the “voice of the locker room.” This group of players represents each position on the field and is chosen by the team to provide guidance and direction.
The council will give Doeren and the coaching staff input on some decisions, while a player can go to the council with issues they would like brought up to the coaches.
Here’s a look at the 2018 Wolfpack Leadership Council (number in parenthesis indicates number of years on the council if more than 1):
Dylan Autenrieth (2)
A.J. Cole III (4)
NC State DL Coach Kevin Patrick Breaks Down D-Line Depth Chart
We caught up with NC State defensive line coach Kevin Patrick last week, and he broke down how RS JR Larrell Murchison has claimed the #1 spot, the leaders on the line, and how they are “force feeding” FR Alim McNeil. Check out the VIDEO below, with a BULLETED breakdown underneath.
- Starting to develop some true 1’s. Redshirt Junior Defensive Tackle Larrell Murchison has really come on. Different player than he was last year. Taken a lot of pride in himself. The redshirt year really helped him a lot coming from Junior College. Really helping building some unity in the interior with him and Senior Defensive Tackle Eurndraus Bryant. He’s been going full force. He didn’t just get that #1 spot. He went and took it, which was the most impressive thing. His attack at the line of scrimmage is as good as we’ve got.
- Redshirt Freshman Defensive Tackle Ibrahim Kante weighs 250 pounds. Moved him inside. Feel like that’s the best fit for us. When he puts on some more weight, he’s going to be special player down there. He’s not scared of contact.
- Senior Defensive End Darian Roseboro is a more vocal leader. Senior Defensive End James Smith-Williams is a little bit more mild, behind the scenes, whispering stuff to the other guys.
- Freshman Defensive End Joseph Boletepeli has a very high ceiling.
- Been force feeding Freshman Defensive Tackle Alim McNeil. For a guy who has been playing linebacker and fullback his whole life, it’s taking some time. It’s a different world inside. We knew it would take some time, but I think the game is slowing down for him, and he’s able to react faster.
- Redshirt Sophomore Val Martin has some things he needs to overcome. Needs to work on his eyes. Right now the other guys are just playing better than him. He’s really a young guy. It’s really like he’s going into his Sophomore year. He’s had one year of junior college football under his belt. We have him for 3 years. He’s coming along.
- Redshirt Freshman Defensive Tackle Grant Gibson is coming along everyday. He’s pushing it in that #2 spot. Now we need to get those 2’s to push the 1’s a little bit more for the jobs in front of them.
Current Breakdown of the Depth Chart at D-Line according to Patrick:
DE – SR Darian Roseboro
DT – SR Eurndraus Bryant/RS FR Grant Gibson
DT – RS JR Larrell Murchison/FR Alim McNeil/RS FR Ibrahim Kante
DE – RS JR James Smith-Williams
NC State Ranks 32nd in 2018 AP Preseason College Football Poll
The 2018 AP Preseason College Football Poll was released today, and NC State ranked 32nd. The Wolfpack finished the 2017 season ranked 23rd in the ACC after going 9-4. For perspective, NC State was ranked 30th in the 2017 AP Preseason Poll last year.
ACC Teams in the Top-25
19) Florida St.
20) Virginia Tech
ACC Teams Receiving Votes
32) NC State
34) Boston College
West Virginia, NC State’s 3rd opponent this season, sits at #17.
NC State Football4 days ago
McShay: NC State’s Ryan Finley the BEST 2019 NFL Draft Prospect
NC State Basketball3 days ago
NC State, Adidas emails made public. More about uniforms than Dennis Smith
NC State Football4 days ago
Ibrahim Kante Talks about a new city, a new position and a new mentality
Football Recruiting3 days ago
NC State 2019 Football Commits Week 1 Report
Pack in the Pros4 days ago
NC State’s 2018 NFL Preseason Week 2 Report: 8/17/18
Pack in the Pros2 days ago
NC State’s 2018 NFL Preseason Week 2 Report: 8/18/18
NC State Baseball3 days ago
Trea Turner’s power / speed combo puts him in MLB history books
NC State Baseball3 days ago
Detroit Tigers promote Brock Deatherage to A-Advanced & he keeps raking