Head Coach Dave Doeren met with the media one last time before NC State jumps on a plane to head up to Boston for a Noon kickoff on Saturday against the Golden Eagles. The video is above, with a bulleted breakdown of what he had to say below.
- The next step for this young football team, is that they’ve got to be able to play the same way on the road as they do at home.
- It usually takes a Junior College player 12 months to get acclimated physically, because they don’t have the training or the nutrition at those schools.
- The learning part of staying behind those four guys (Bradley Chubb, Kentavius Street, Justin Jones & B.J. Hill) and seeing how they do their work and how they prepare was really, really good for him.
- He’s now carrying that torch, which is fun to see.
- On 1st and 2nd down he’s playing our 4 and 5 techniques, so he’s on the edge.
- On 3rd down he’s playing the 0, so he’s on the Center.
- Moving him around creates opportunities for him on different players, so not a single guy can get used to how to block him in a single game.
- He’s on the tackle, he’s on the guard, he’s on the center. Sometimes he’s stemming from a zero back out to a three. It’s hard for them to get zeroed in on where he’s going to line up sometimes.
Stopping BC’s Run Game…
- A lot of strengths vs. strengths in this matchup. Going to be great competition.
- I have a lot of respect for Steve Addazio.
- Good offensive line
- Physical Tight Ends
- Big running backs.
- Zay Flowers has made them different offensively at receiver.
- He’s a really dynamic wide out for them.
- It’s a really good offense.
Dennis Grosel taking over at QB for injured Anthony Brown…
- When he came in the last game, same play calls.
- Obviously, I can’t predict what they’re going to do, but it doesn’t look like they’ve changed their offense with him.
- He was a good runner in high school. He’s a dual threat guy.
- I’d be shocked if it’s any different than it’s been.
Motivated to play A.J. Dillon…
- Absolutely a motivation.
- These guys want to play well every week. If you can hold a back that’s as good as him to less than he’s used to having, then that says a lot for our guys.
- Any time you play a guy that’s as good as him, and he had a great game against us two years ago, you want to try to do your best not to let that happen.
Chris Ingram’s injury…
- I’m not going to talk about it.
Hockman and Leary…
- Both Bailey Hockman and Devin Leary have gotten more confident.
- The game reps have helped him [Hockman] slow things down.
- He was competitive at Florida State when he wasn’t the starter. You saw his guts in that game.
- Last week he came out very level headed. Very even-keeled guy. Doesn’t get up and down. I like that in him and Devin.
- The more they play, the better they’re going to get. They’ve had a lot of teachable moments the last two games that can help them.
Will we see Leary play a drive or two…
- Yeah, you will.