Head Coach Dave Doeren spoke with the media yesterday after practice prior to NC State’s homecoming matchup against Clemson in the Textile Bowl tomorrow night. You can watch the video above, or check out a bulleted breakdown below.
Differences in Clemson’s Defense this year…
- They’ve changed schematically.
- Still play 4 down, but they’re doing a lot of 3 down stuff on regular downs.
- Blitzing a ton, like Brett Venables always has.
- A lot of experience there.
- They lost their marquee Defensive Linemen, but they did rotate a lot of those guys last year.
- Linebackers are really smart.
- Really good perimeter skill.
- It’s been great having Nick McCloud back in action, and hopefully he’ll be able to play Saturday.
- Just having his spark and his leadership has been great.
Younger team playing Clemson…
- I just told them ‘you’ve got nothing to lose. Just go and play as fast and as hard as you can.’
- We need to be a better football team than obviously we were the last time out.
- Being able to come home for homecoming with the opportunity to play a great team, that’s what it’s all about.
- These are the things that you play college football for.
- Playing against a great opponent and having the opportunity to do something special.
- He’s a great player.
- He’s running more.
- A lot more aggressive as a runner. He’s always been a really athletic guy, but you can see that part of his game has changed in a positive way for them.
- He’s put some weight on his frame.
- Early in the season he threw some balls I’m sure he wishes he had back.
- He has a great release, great timing with his receivers.
- He gives them chances to make plays.
- He’s very calm.