TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Down to its final out in the top of the ninth, NC State’s Brock Deatherage homered for the second time in the game to tie the score and force extra innings, but the Wolfpack came up short, as the 11th-ranked Florida State Seminoles hit a walkoff home run to earn a 6-3 win Friday night at Dick Howser Stadium.
With the win, the Seminoles clinch the series as the Wolfpack suffers only its second ACC series loss and first on the road this season.
NC State moves to 39-14 on the year and 18-11 in ACC play, while Florida State improves to 39-16 and 16-12 in league action.
– Will Wilson gave NC State a 1-0 lead in the contest with a solo home run over the left field wall to start the fourth inning.
– The National Player and Hitter of the Week launched a first-pitch fastball out of the park for his 14th homer of the season.
– Brock Deatherage followed three batters later with a solo shot over the right field wall to give the Wolfpack a 2-0 lead on his 13th home run.
– Florida State answered with three runs in the sixth to take a 3-2 advantage.
– After a pair of quick outs, the Seminoles loaded the bases with two outs and got RBI singles from J.C. Flowers and Reese Albert to pull ahead.
– With two outs in the top of the ninth, Deatherage came up huge for NC State with his second home run of the game to knot the score at three apiece.
– The Burlington, N.C., native drove an 0-1 pitch over the center field wall for his 14thhomer of the season and third multi-home run game.
– After a flyout to start the bottom of the 10th, a walk and a single put runners on before Reese Albert hit a walkoff home run to right field.
Inside the Box Score
– It was the first time that NC State has played consecutive extra-inning games since March 2-3, 2013.
– Deatherage was 3-for-4 in the game with a pair of homers and was the only player in the contest to record three hits.
– NC State hit two or more home runs in a game for the 23rd time this season.
On the Mound
– Senior Brian Brown turned in a strong outing on the mound for the Wolfpack, as he 5.2 innings with six strikeouts and had not allowed a run when he departed the game with the bases loaded.
– Unfortunately, all three came around to score and were charged to Brown.
– Freshman Evan Justice threw two shutout innings and Johnny Piedmonte pitched the final 1.1 for the Pack.
NC State and Florida State will wrap up the series Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. at Dick Howser Stadium.
Today’s Baseball Game vs. Winthrop will be Rescheduled
#14 NC State was scheduled to host Winthrop in a midweek game today, but the game is going to be rescheduled due to several members of the team testing positive for the flu. Check out the release below.
The baseball game between NC State and Winthrop originally scheduled for Tuesday, March 5, will be rescheduled for a later date.
Several members of the Wolfpack team tested positive for flu so the decision was made to move the game for precautionary measures.
That means that NC State’s next game will be their first ACC game, beginning a 3-game series against Boston College (6-3) here in Raleigh on Friday afternoon at 3pm.
NC State Baseball Top-25 Rankings Update After a 5-0 Week
NC State 3B Alec Makarewicz Earns ACC Player of the Week Honors
NC State Senior 3rd Baseman Alec Makarewicz earned ACC Player of the Week honors for his performances against Queens and Towson last week.
Makarewicz’s hot streak continued into a perfect 5-0 week for the Wolfpack at home. Makarewicz posted a .455 batting average with a team-high 10 hits, four doubles, 13 RBI, 20 total bases and six extra-base hits. The Longwood, Florida, native opened his week with a 3-for-4 performance with four RBI, three runs scored, a home run and a double as NC State routed Queens, 17-2. The Wolfpack third baseman then delivered three additional multi-hit performances in the sweep over Towson, capping off the weekend with a 3-for-5 day at the plate with three doubles, five RBI and a run scored. Makarewicz’s final swing of the weekend was a run-rule, walk-off double to center field as the Pack completed the weekend sweep with a 14-4 win over the Tigers. On the season, Makarewicz leads NC State with 24 RBI, 39 total bases, 19 hits and 10 extra-base hits. (ACC)
The Transfer from East Carolina has looked right at home here in Raleigh through the first two weeks of the 2024 College Baseball season.
#14 NC State Beats Towson 14-4 in Series Finale, Completing Sweep
#14 NC State (9-2) beat Towson (1-10) 14-4 yesterday afternoon, completing the 4-game sweep.
Freshman Ryan Marohn picked up his 2nd Win of the season, giving up 4 earned runs in 5.2 innings pitched (89 pitches). He struck out 5, while walking none. Through his first three collegiate starts, Marohn is 2-0 with a 4.50 ERA, with 14 k’s in 14 innings pitched (8 walks).
SR 3B Alec Makarewicz continues to destroy baseballs with the baseball bat. He was 3 for 5 with 5 RBI’s. All 3 of A-Mak’s hits were doubles. Makarewicz is currently batting .404 with an OPS of 1.291.
— #Pack9 ⚾️ (@NCStateBaseball) March 3, 2024
SO Josh Hogue, who was the Designated Hitter, was the only other player with a multi-hit performance (the team had 11 hits). He was 2 for 4 with 3 RBI’s and 3 Runs. One of those hits was his 1st Home Run as a member of NC State. On the year, Hogue is batting .414 with an OPS of 1.041.
— #Pack9 ⚾️ (@NCStateBaseball) March 3, 2024
JR C Jacob Cozart and RS FR LF Drew Lanphere both had 2 RBI’s, while Cozart also had 3 Runs. On the year, Cozart and Lanphere are batting .371 and .400 respectively, with OPS’ of 1.369 and 1.114 respectively.
Freshman Jacob Dudan picked up his 2nd Save of the season. Through 6 appearances, Dudan has yet to give up an earned run, with batters hitting only .222 against him.
Up Next: The Wolfpack will host Winthrop at 3pm tomorrow.