Head coach Elliott Avent talked on media day about the upcoming season. If there was anything that stood out, it was about how much he LOVES this year’s club.
- Biggest thing he’s told his guys, is that State prides itself on chemistry. That there will always be ups and downs, but players need to find their role and, more often than not, they make it to postseason play.
- Team maybe has the greatest closeness he’s ever seen, particularly for not playing a game yet. Big part is individual leaders.
- He believes State has a tough schedule, especially being ACC heavy and strong non-conference matchups. Excited that the team doesn’t seem antsy, but more so focused on long-term goals.
- Doesn’t feel like the club has unfinished business, coming out of the successful yet shortened season. Team is more focused on helping each other, improving and just playing the game they love.
- With expanded roster (lots returning, more coming in) he knows not everyone is going to be happy with his coaching decisions. Feels players need to be ecstatic that everyone is simply back playing. Had no plans on expanding roster into 40’s and 50’s like other programs.
- Patrick Bailey is a big loss, but between recruiting and development, feels State can continue their great catcher tradition.Players with big potential/leadership:
- Evan Justice has worked himself into an unbelievable pitcher. Works just as hard as anybody he’s seen.
- Cooper King, for a freshman, has incredibly, progressed maturity since arriving to campus.
- Luca Tresh, hardworker, ready to take over catching duties and really working on his craft.
- Kent Klyman, unbelievable leader that’s in the best shape of his career, glad he’s our closer.
- The relationship with staff and players is something he cherishes. Always amazed how every year people leave, but they still feel more and more like a family when they return.
- Excited about ACC play starting early. Just hope the team’s effort pays off.