Kevin Keatts talked to the media after NC State’s win over #15 UVA. Here is the full audio and, if you don’t have time, below is a quick-hitting recap of his statements.
- Focus over the last two or three weeks has been playing complete games. For the first half, played just about perfect for 17 minutes. Second half had a few issues.
- Proud of how his team is competing with lots of fight.
- Beyond COVID, to lose experienced guards to injury and have young guys step up is tremendous.
- Happy for the guys and how they’ve handled success, not easy to win this many in a row on the road.
- Feels biggest thing is complete team buy-in. Mentioned how the bench is just as excited as those on the floor.
- UVA might be the best defensive team in the country, so to start with three straight three pointers was tremendous. Bigs played big and changed how UVA had to defended.
- The strength of our team is our inside presence. When things run through DJ and Bates, it opens up others elsewhere.
- Shoutout to Bates having three assists, “Probably equal to what DJ has done in the last two years”.
- Biggest adjustment, defensively, was slowing down Murphy and Huff. Move them out of shooting positions and have continued pressure.
- Believes you have to have confidence and may have asked young guys to grow up faster than they want. In order for State to be successful, it has to be a team effort because State wont have the single player going off for 30+ a game.
- Has taken the coaching mentality that there are no freshmen on the team. Needs to have players develop and feel comfortable taking leadership roles.
- Hayes, Moore and Seabron get the spotlight, but all other freshmen have improved. Wish he could play them more, but at this time, need to get wins and feels comfortable with his core group of seven rotating in.
- Cam Hayes was one of the best players early, COVID halt hurt him the most, now he’s got that confidence back.
- Whatever you do, don’t order or ask about ice cream until after the game!