Senior Torin Dorn finished his career at NC State with a bang last night in the Wolfpack’s 93-92 loss to Lipscomb in the Quarterfinals of the NIT. He finished with a career high 34 points, setting a new Wolfpack record for points scored by a player in a NIT game (Previous Record: 26 points – Markell Johnson & Hawkeye Whitney).
Every coach, every teammate, every athletic director, every fan dreams of having players like Torin Dorn represent them.
Intelligent. Humble. Strong work ethic. Professional. Leads by example.
What type of legacy does Dorn leave at NC State?
Dorn ranks 33rd all-time in NC State history in scoring (1,267 points), and he managed to do this in only three seasons. Don’t forget that he was the Conference USA Freshman of the Year at UNC-Charlotte, averaging 12 points per game. For kicks and giggles, if you were to add his points from his Freshman season with the 49ers, he would rank 8th all-time in school history.
As a Senior, Dorn managed to pull off the feat of leading the team in scoring (14.0) and rebounding (7.2). Only 21 Wolpack players are a part of this scoring/rebounding club.
- Torin Dorn (14.0/7.2/2018-19)
- TJ Warren (24.9/7.1/2013-14)
- Tracy Smith (16.5/7.3/2009-10)
- JJ Hickson (14.8/8.5/2007-08)
- Brandon Costner (16.8/7.3/2006-07)
- Julius Hodge (17.0/6.6/2004-05)
- Julius Hodge (17.7/5.5/2002-03)
- Anthony Grundy (17.8/5.5/2001-02)
- Todd Fuller (20.9/9.9/1995-96)
- Todd Fuller (16.4/8.6/1994-95)
- Todd Fuller (11.8/8.4/1993-94)
- Kevin Thompson (15.5/9.1/1992-93)
- Tom Gugliotta (22.5/9.0/1991-92)
- Chris Washburn (17.6/6.7/1985-86)
- Thurl Bailey (16.7/7.7/1982-83)
- Thurl Bailey (13.7/6.8/1981-82)
- Thurl Bailey (12.3/6.1/1980-81)
- Hawkeye Whitney (18.6/4.9/1979-80)
- Hawkeye Whitney (17.8/6.1/1978-79)
- Kenny Carr (21.0/9.9/1976-77)
- Kenny Carr (26.6/10.3/1975-76)
- Tommy Burleson (21.3/14.0/1971-72)
- Vann Williford (23.7/10.0/1969-70)
- Vann Williford (21.6/10.0/1968-69)
- Bill Kretzer (11.7/7.2/1966-67)
- Bob DiStefano (13.2/8.6/1960-61)
- Bob DiStefano (12.7/9.1/1959-60)
- John Richter (17.0/14.2/1958-59)
- John Richter (15.5/12.7/1956-57)
- Ronnie Shavlik (18.2/19.5/1955-56)
- Ronnie Shavlik (22.1/18.2/1954-55)
- Bobby Speight (16.9/11.1/1952-53)
Dorn is tied for the 2nd shortest player in NC State history to lead the Wolfpack in both scoring and rebounding.
- Anthony Grundy – 6’3″
- Torin Dorn – 6’5″
- Hawkeye Whitney – 6’5″
- John Richter – 6’5″
Dorn will be extremely missed on next years squad, but his impact on this team will go on for years to come, because he left an imprint on all the returning players.
That’s the type of legacy Dorn left in Raleigh.
Clemson 81 NC State 70: OUR TAKE
NC State Head Coach Kevin Keatts said that his team didn’t “play great” against Clemson this afternoon, in their 81-70 loss to the Tigers.
That was an understatement.
Sometimes I wish a coach would come out and say the truth
The Wolfpack played terrible down in South Carolina.
Clemson outshot NC State in every category.
Clemson – 46.9/32.1/83.9
NC State – 44.1/23.8/68.4
The Tigers out rebounded the Wolfpack by 4. They had more second chance points (+2) and more points off turnovers (+6).
Clemson shot 12 more free throws.
They shared the ball better, netting 5 more assists.
The stats weren’t in their favor to walk away with the victory, but maybe what was most disappointing was the overall lack of effort.
Senior Markell Johnson still hasn’t figured out how to play consistent basketball, in production or effort, and we are half way through year 4.
The coaches ability to adjust has to be called into question after today’s performance. Clemson abused the Wolfpack with backdoor cuts and slipping screens for 40 straight minutes. Also, I’m all for aggressive defense, but failing to put the hand in the face of wide open three-point shooters is inexcusable.
NC State was without Redshirt Senior Guard C.J. Bryce, who leads the team in scoring and rebounding. Obviously, his presence was missed, and the game could have been different with him on the court.
This loss doesn’t ruin a season, and obviously the team can rebound from it, but the deja vu of losses like these become exhausting.
Clemson 81 NC State 70: ACCDN HIGHLIGHT REEL & CONDENSED GAME
NC State fell to 10-4 today, losing to Clemson 81-70 on the road. The ACC Digital Network’s Highlight Reel and Condensed Game is below.
Clemson 81 NC State 70: BOX SCORE
NC State is a 2-Point Favorite at Clemson
NC State Men’s Basketball team will hit the road today, playing at Clemson today at Noon, and the Wolfpack will hit the court as 2-point favorites. The Total is currently 136.5.
The Wolfpack is 7-5-1 Against the Spread on the year, and Clemson is 7-6. NC State is 10-2 as the favorite, and Clemson is 1-3 as the Underdog. The Wolfpack are 3-0 Against the Spread on the road, and the Tigers are 5-4 Against the Spread at home.
For both teams, the Total has gone Under in 7 of their 13 games.
- North Carolina State are 4-1-1 Against The Spread in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of North Carolina State’s last 6 games.
- North Carolina State are 7-0 Against The Spread in their last 7 games on the road.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of North Carolina State’s last 7 games against an opponent in the Atlantic Coast conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of North Carolina State’s last 5 games played in January.
- Clemson are 1-5 Against The Spread in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Clemson’s last 5 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Clemson’s last 6 games against North Carolina State.
- Clemson are 1-4 Against The Spread in their last 5 games this season.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Clemson’s last 6 games against an opponent in the Atlantic Coast conference.
- Clemson are 5-1 Against The Spread in their last 6 games played on a Saturday. (OddShark)